S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Just discovered that I could...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the car almost a year before I realized I could use the little volume wheel on the console to change the radio stations in addition to the volume. Just click it left or right.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
I had the car almost a year before I realized I could use the little volume wheel on the console to change the radio stations in addition to the volume. Just click it left or right.
Yeah, took me a few days to realize I could go through the Sirius stations like that instead of using the wheel.. Its also for FF/RW and track skip and previous.. Ive seen a lot of people criticize Audi for putting that control **** there, but I think its genius.. I use it there more often than I use the one on the wheel.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY
Yeah, took me a few days to realize I could go through the Sirius stations like that instead of using the wheel.. Its also for FF/RW and track skip and previous.. Ive seen a lot of people criticize Audi for putting that control **** there, but I think its genius.. I use it there more often than I use the one on the wheel.
The volume control (and other function ****) IS genius -- it falls "naturally" to the hand (don't have to take your eyes off the road if you want to use it, that is.) I like using it more than the one on the steering wheel as it seems to give me finer (and grosser, if I need) control of the volume function. Its ability to advance the "tuneage" is also much appreciated. I first had this wheel on my 2005 A6, then my 2009 A4 and 2014 S4 and 2014 SQ5 and now our 2018 S4 and SQ5. It should be patented (if that's possible). Right up there with "sliced bread"!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to have radio default to presets when starting car?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imola02
Is there a way to have radio default to presets when starting car?
I have been trying to figure this out, I don’t believe there is a way. It always defaults back to the band that it was in when you shut off the car. (I.e. if you’re on an FM station it’ll start up in FM.)

This is probably my biggest gripe with the MMI system. The workaround I have come up with is to leave the radio screen on the left hand side of the VC. When I start the car, I hit the left option button and click up to presets. I’ve gotten used to this routine, so it isn’t too bad.

As far as I can tell, this is a deliberate choice by the engineers. When I asked about it, I was told it was “working as designed.”
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Found a new one today.. Of course if I read the manual, I would have seen it... Anyway, discovered that the "afterwipe" that occurs when you wash the windshield while the car is moving can be cancelled by pulling back the lever a 2nd time within 10 seconds. It gets turned back on next time car is started.
This was a hassle more during the winter when salt was on the roads up here.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

So the other day I accidentally hit the paddle shifters when the shifter was "to the left". This automatically kicked it into paddle shifter mode. Pretty nice feature.

Also noticed when you're in the "manual" paddle shift mode and you park the car, the shifter will automatically move to the left. Try it out!
Old 05-09-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thermobryan
So the other day I accidentally hit the paddle shifters when the shifter was "to the left". This automatically kicked it into paddle shifter mode. Pretty nice feature.
I believe that this is temporary and will revert back to the previous mode (D/S) after a while.

Also noticed when you're in the "manual" paddle shift mode and you park the car, the shifter will automatically move to the left. Try it out!
Yep, pretty cool.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I believe that this is temporary and will revert back to the previous mode (D/S) after a while.

Yep, pretty cool.
If you hold the left paddle car shifts it so the lowest gear (within the rev limit of course), then if you hold the right paddle for more than a second then the car changes back to auto instantly.
Also, if you are in the manual mode, floor the gas paddle all the way to the ground (pass the resistance point, you will feel like pressed a button with your foot) the car will get into "kick down" mode, which also automatically shifts into the lowest gear without downshift tapping the paddles gear by gear.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Newbie here with a new 2018, Is there a way I can change the fact that when putting the car in "Park" the car unlocks all the doors? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Just discovered that I could...