S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Just traded in the S3 for an S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just traded in the S3 for an S4

Hello there, I'm new to the forum- I thought I'd make a post since I've been lurking for so long.
So I had a 2016 S3 - I really liked that car. Very sporty. I had a few gripes of course, but it was the nicest car I had until now. I've only had the S4 for about a week- but I am loving it more every day. So far the only things I miss about the S3 is the size and the retractable center screen. (On a side note- I was told that they are no longer making those retractable screens in new models as they take too long to show the reverse camera if they are in the down position.) I really liked the tossability of the S3... And that screen on the S4 is so tacky- especially when compared to the rest of the interior.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying the refinement of the S4 compared to the S3. Just feels like a more finished car. I feel like it's a "grown up" car if that makes any sense...

I'm getting the windows tinted this Wednesday- I'm open to suggestions on what else to do with it. It's a lease, so I guess I can't go too crazy with aftermarket stuff... I'm thinking of a black rear spoiler? Something small to make it a bit more unique...

I'm in the bay area- These pictures are at Stevens Creek Audi. If anyone knows of any trusted places in the area to do aftermarket work please let me know! Thank you!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, enjoy it!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Great upgrade. My father has a 2016 S3 Prestige, which I have had several hundred miles of seat time in, and I have a 2018 S4 Prestige.

I can draw similar comparisons.

The S3 is certainly more tossable. It is definitely the better city car if you don't need to put adults in the back seat.
The S4 has a (much) more refined interior -- and is so much quieter at speed thanks to all the acoustic glass and other noise-deadening techniques. It is the better grand tourer.
I have never driven an A6 or S6 but I'm sure that takes the above two sentiments a step further still.
The S3 has better exterior lines -- the shoulder lines down the sides especially. I also think it has better looking headlights especially with the full LED option.
The S3 has the option of better wheels than anything currently offered on the S4 -- but it appears you didn't select the ones I'm thinking of.
The S4 has a better AWD system if you regularly drive on snow packed mountain roads -- though I will admit the Haldex in the S3 is indeed prettttttty good.
The S4 definitely sounds better. It's not a 4 cylinder so this is to be expected.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I had my tinting done by Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore. They do a fantastic job. I've also used happily California Auto Tint and Polishing in Campbell which is a lot closer to you.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I literally just did the same exact trade a week ago myself. A 2016 S3 (lease was up) and i got a 2019 S4 mythos with black optic, dynamic steering and S SPORT. The differences in my opinion are night and day. This is so much a better overall car. I felt like the S3 was cheap.

I lease also so i keep the mods light but here is what I did already:

JB4
AWE track exhaust
35% tint all around except windshield
blendmount for my max 360 radar
ROCEURO intake
blacked out vinyl on the orange reflectors

All are easily reversible and there is a market to resell them once you turn in the lease.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Aaand another thing! These lease so well! Plus my insurance went down. All in, I am paying about $43 more per month for a car worth almost 20K more... Strange.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'll look into these suggestions
Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

These lease extremely well. I am actually paying LESS a month than I did on my S3. 64k sticker on my S4 vs 50k on my S3. After 3k out of pocker i am paying $555 a month. Crazy.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm turning in my '17 S3 lease tomorrow for a Premium ;19 S4. any advice?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by erycl
i'm turning in my '17 S3 lease tomorrow for a Premium ;19 S4. any advice?

I went on to lease hacker and researched as much as I could. I took a screenshot of someone else's good deal and sent it to my dealer. Told them if they could duplicate it, I would go ahead with a deal... I also got the latest MF and incentives from Edmunds forums. Arm yourself with data and try not to be emotionally attached to it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Just traded in the S3 for an S4