S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Lag/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I understand and appreciate what you are saying. Here is why my response. First of all, the lag is never as long as it seems like it is. Everything we do in life is measured against expectations. When you mash the throttle on a 369 lb ft sports sedan you expect it to haul butt and leave everything in its dust, including oncoming traffic. If there is a .5 second delay you have an "oh crap" feeling. But if .5 seconds is enough to get you into an accident you were an idiot to pull out anyway. Does that make sense to my response?
Yep.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy necrotizing. But after 3months and a most Def post breakin, how's the lag?

Betting its diminished by now. Especially as the tiptronic learns how you drive and adapts.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Not OP but I've got just north of 1500 miles and 2.5 months of ownership on mine and it's still bad for me as well, and not getting any better.

On my old V6 Accord, I could mash the gas at any point and the car would GOOOOOO like a greyhound that just saw a rabbit.

On this car, whether from standing start or changing lanes at speed on the highway, the greyhound is a lot faster...but it has to get up out of bed first. There is a solid full second of hesitation between pedal mashing and the car's reaction, even in full dynamic with the transmission in S. The problem is not even fully circumvented (though it is helped) if I paddle shift down a few gears first.

In this thread, James Cole mentions that an aftermarket downpipe and cat delete will solve this problem on the Audi 3.0T. I can't speak for that but he is right in that just having the transmission in S instead of D only helps by about 20%. I might even say it helps by 30-40%. Either way it isn't the full solution.

Personally I will just live with it and hope that some day an ECU/TCU tune (or better yet an OEM update) will be available to eliminate this without doing surgery. But if not, oh well. All cars have their quirks.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried launch control about 15x in D, not S?

After doing that I did not see any more hesitation in D on my SQ5... I think the Tip adapted to how I drive.

ymmv
Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Have you tried launch control about 15x in D, not S?

After doing that I did not see any more hesitation in D on my SQ5... I think the Tip adapted to how I drive.

ymmv
Good to know. I have not tried launch control. TBH I thought that was an S-tronic-car-only feature; I didn't think the B9 S4s had it?

Disclaimer, LC is not a feature I care about so I haven't researched this much at all. Tried it in a 2017 A4 SilverCar rental once earlier this year and haven't thought about it since.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Good to know. I have not tried launch control. TBH I thought that was an S-tronic-car-only feature; I didn't think the B9 S4s had it?

Disclaimer, LC is not a feature I care about so I haven't researched this much at all. Tried it in a 2017 A4 SilverCar rental once earlier this year and haven't thought about it since.
Proper launch control is an S-tronic thing only. It's a controlled dropped of the clutch from high revs. Cars like the B9 S4s have lunch control, too, but it's different. It's what's referred to as brake torquing. It holds the revs of the engine at the stall speed of the torque converter. The stall speed is the maximum rpm that you can apply to the input side of a torque converter w/o forcing movement in the drivetrain. The stall speed is usually somewhere around 2000-2500 rpm. It's basically a way of taking the slack out of the fluid coupling of the torque converter and immediately shoot forward the moment you take the foot of the brakes. This can be performed manually, too, but if done improperly, the stress on the drivetrain can damage the torque converter.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Proper launch control is an S-tronic thing only. It's a controlled dropped of the clutch from high revs. Cars like the B9 S4s have lunch control, too, but it's different. It's what's referred to as brake torquing. It holds the revs of the engine at the stall speed of the torque converter. The stall speed is the maximum rpm that you can apply to the input side of a torque converter w/o forcing movement in the drivetrain. The stall speed is usually somewhere around 2000-2500 rpm. It's basically a way of taking the slack out of the fluid coupling of the torque converter and immediately shoot forward the moment you take the foot of the brakes. This can be performed manually, too, but if done improperly, the stress on the drivetrain can damage the torque converter.
Good info, matches my understanding.
The new info / point of clarification is, Does the 2018 S4 with Tiptronic include a launch control program where even though you mash both the brake and gas at the same time, the computer holds the RPM at or just below the stall speed, at the "optimal place" before it overstresses the torque converter, or does it just work like any other auto trans car where you mash the brake but then modulate the gas yourself?

Put simply, is the computer going to step in and manage it via a program if I attempt to put both pedals to the floor at the same time or do I need to hold the brake firmly and carefully bring the gas to 2500rpm myself like I had to in my old car?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Good info, matches my understanding.
The new info / point of clarification is, Does the 2018 S4 with Tiptronic include a launch control program where even though you mash both the brake and gas at the same time, the computer holds the RPM at or just below the stall speed, at the "optimal place" before it overstresses the torque converter, or does it just work like any other auto trans car where you mash the brake but then modulate the gas yourself?

Put simply, is the computer going to step in and manage it via a program if I attempt to put both pedals to the floor at the same time or do I need to hold the brake firmly and carefully bring the gas to 2500rpm myself like I had to in my old car?
I answered that already in my post. Yes, the 2018 S4 has launch control which is a computer assisted brake torquing launch. You don't have to modulate the throttle yourself.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I answered that already in my post. Yes, the 2018 S4 has launch control which is a computer assisted brake torquing launch. You don't have to modulate the throttle yourself.
Got it, thanks bud. Just wanted to clarify and make sure I fully 100% understood before inadvertently loading up a few hundred ftlbs against a hydraulic coupling and dropping the hammer.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

if done improperly, the stress on the drivetrain can damage the torque converter.

What would be the telltale sign of said damage? metal shavings? leaking fluid now under the car? Grinding sound?

Quick Reply: Lag/Hesitation