S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Pre sense issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here ... I turn it off. Do you know your MMI software version?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also heard of similar nuances and complaints from my wifes S4 on the pre-sence - especially when backing up in an enclosed parking garage and it stomping on the brakes violently and harshly when there is clearly nothing around.

If anybody has gotten the dealer to 're calibrate' or address this issue with a software fix, etc - please share your updates.

It happens infrequently enough not to raise a panic yet - but definitely not something that should induce fear of driving and backing the car up, especially. We have turned of the 'pre sence' - and set activation to 'late' - but that did not seem to mitigate the problem.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

All of the "senses" in my DAP equipped Prestige S4 are modern marvels -- and I assume are imperfect. At less than 9,000 miles I have had the triangle come on perhaps 3 or 4 times. Only once did it seem an unnecessary warning. The back up "jolt" too has -- er -- jolted me a few times, and almost every time, there was a car coming that I couldn't see and the stab on the brakes made me stop the car on my own just as the car I would have crashed into passed.

I guess your car needs its sensors replaced, its software updated, SOMETHING that the dealer surely could do to help you.

The ONLY THING in your post that frustrates me (on your behalf) is the apparent lack of education and training you received from the sales department when you picked up your car. My "indoctrination" was a multi-hour affair. My second indoctrination was another hour. Plus my training included time in a DAP equipped car to teach me how to use ACC. Your dealer let you down.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default pre-sense is dangerous and not perfected

I have experienced many sudden halts as you describe. I have a 2019 A5. Happened a few times simply backing up (nothing anywhere in site).
Mostly, however, it happens in a suicide lane trying to make a left turn against oncoming traffic (with tons of time to do so). Has halted suddenly so many times
I am now filled with anxiety when I drive. My daughter actually hurt her neck last week when it happened and she was a passenger.
It is at the dealership as we speak. Just got the call that it is doing what it is designed to do. I hate driving this beauty of a car. What did you end up doing with yours?
Lemon Law sounds like an awful long process, but at this point I just want to get something new.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Pre sense issue

Originally Posted by KarenPete Bloom
I have experienced many sudden halts as you describe. I have a 2019 A5. Happened a few times simply backing up (nothing anywhere in site).
Mostly, however, it happens in a suicide lane trying to make a left turn against oncoming traffic (with tons of time to do so). Has halted suddenly so many times
I am now filled with anxiety when I drive. My daughter actually hurt her neck last week when it happened and she was a passenger.
It is at the dealership as we speak. Just got the call that it is doing what it is designed to do. I hate driving this beauty of a car. What did you end up doing with yours?
Lemon Law sounds like an awful long process, but at this point I just want to get something new.
. I sold the car but not for that reason… It was more of a financial situation. That aspect of the car is terrible, you know you can turn the sensitivity down, as there are three levels as I recall. The problem is, if you turn it off completely, when you start the car it defaults to being on. I always kept mine turned down to the least sensitivity, but the problem you’re describing happened to me seven or eight times. I took it into Audi and they said everything is normal. This was my third Audi, It was time for a change. I also lament the fact that you can’t buy these cars with Stickshifts, as I think any of the S models would be super with a stick. All of these so-called aids are being implemented as a prelude to driverless cars, hopefully I will never own one
Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default PRE SENSE ISSUE AUDI Q3

Hey there guys. Want to share my experience. I'm going to try long story short. Almost 3 month ago, Dec 2019 i bought the new Audi Q3 Sline Premium here in Miami. Loved the car, the color, the features. Until i started to experience this problem with audi pre sense. The mal function message is coming to my cockpit Random. I have being back and forth to the dealership 6 times before, they have done everything even replacing the Presense Module. i got and AUDI for quality and avoid issues i hate car errors. And 3 weeks later i am having the same issue. i just emailed AUDI and the managers at the dealership requesting a new car. My cars has only 970 miles and almost 300 miles going back and forth to the dealership. I don' t think that is quite acceptable. I created a case before with AUDI of America and i am reopening it to get this escalated. I told them i want to solve this in a friendly way so i dont have to hassle the Lemmon Law process. What do you guys think?