S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 Color selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S4 Color selection

Making progress, but still stalled on my S4 order. So far, Ive nailed down a P+ S4 w/

S Sport Pack
Dynamic steering
Black Nappa

I think this build will make a sleeper of a sporty sedan.

If I go with Navarra, I’d add the Black optic pack. If I go with Daytona, I’d nix the Black optic pack, and add 19” wheels, as the bo wheels make the DG look too monochrome to me. In fact, the only colors that look really good with bo are the blacks, the whites, and red, IMO. I don’t want another black Audi. I love the whites, but it’s a pretty common color across all manufactures. And I don’t think an S4 needs the extra attention Tango would warrant. The Navarra looks like a German Police interceptor with the black optics, but I’m ok with that, I guess.

Im also really interested in Gotland Green~ it’s such a German color! But, I can’t see a sedan in that color, and need to, before I place the order. Also the Audi configurator online says BO is not available on GG. So that would add the 19” wheels as well.

As of now, I’m 50% Navarra, 45% Daytona, 5% Gotland, but that’s subject to change. I’m sure I’m overthinking this to the nth degree- two steps forward, one step backward!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

FWIW the most popular color on this forum is Daytona Grey, and most pair it with the red (magma) nappa leather. That's what I have. DG looks great (with both black and red interior) but if you are hoping for something that stands out...don't get that.

I have yet to see Gotland on anything other than an allroad. It is a very cool color but I don't think it looks best unless paired with a saddle brown interior...which you can't get on the S4. That said, if you ordered it that way you'd have a very rare car.

Navarra w/ Black Optics + those rotor wheels will look stunning and unique..especially if you spec sport package and get the red brakes (assuming you want all the other stuff that comes with it). If insurance totaled my car today, that's likely what I'd replace it with. I think all three S4 interior colors (magma, black, and rotor grey) look great with Navarra.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I would not go with Gotland Green on an S4, not even on an A4, unless you absolutely love it and don't care about resale prospects down the line. I am sure you can find plenty of real life A4 pictures in the B9 A4 forum on this site. Having seen all the pictures but not a car in person, I would still skip it.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about looking like the Deutche Polizei, all I really see them drive are these super aggressive sexy VWs :

You've ruled out a few colors already, but I have to say the Navarra Blue with black optics was a very strong second favorite for me, it is simply stunning to look at:

Last edited by dbuxton13; 10-04-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As shown in the above image, Audi of Nashua (NH) has an S4 with Navarra Blue/Black and the BO package in-stock. In my opinion, this is a nice combo and would've been my first choice except that I wanted the Magma interior (Superman combo is not for me).

I agree with others, GG works on the Allroad but would be a tough sell on the S4.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 AM
jlc
Audiworld Junior Member

Fwiw, I've seen a couple of Gotland Green Allroads in the flesh, under different lighting conditions, and I was surprised by how much they looked like....scummy pond water. Think a significantly browner-tinted version of the last photo in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/veh...d-oem-2930883/

Although the Gotland looks stunning in many photos, and I've read that it changes color tremendously depending on light, I'd be very hesitant to buy one w/o being able to study it at length in the environment it's going to be living in. (It's possible that both of the ones I saw were heavily covered in dust, but I doubt it. More likely, they were reflecting the surrounding built environment.)

That said, the Navarra (which I have) has its own lighting quirks. For the most part, it seems like a perfectly fine color (though not one I'm particularly keen on), but at some bright sun angles it looks exceptionally sparkly-bright-blue (aka 1990s-teenage-boy-wet-dream-blue), and under certain overhead lights in the dealer parking lot it picks up a UV-purple underhue (aka early-90s-Valley-girl-w/side-pony-tail-car-blue). Not that there's anything wrong with those blues, but as a 40-something person, it's not a look I'm really aiming for.

I would have gone with one of the greys--they all seem attractive and well-suited to the car--had I not just come off a 10-hour drive (miserable traffic) from NH under cloudy skies and lots of rain. Around hour 2 I realized that probably 80% of the cars I was seeing were white, black, or grey, and the grey ones just blended into the road/sky/horizon--it seemed like something of a hazard, in that drivers changing lanes might be more likely to miss the fact that a grey car (on the grey road, w/the grey sky) was in their blindspot.

If I had been able to wait another year on ordering the car, I might have, just in the hopes that Audi would offer more standard colors. (The Tango is a good fit on the car, but then it *really* fails the sleeper-car designation....)
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Before I ordered mine (actually an S5 SB), i found a Gotland Green in person. It's very muted and somewhat gray. My wife and I both agreed it looked like a color for a plebeian salesman's car. I would much prefer the brighter Cactus Green from years ago.

I went with the Navarra Blue. Yes, it looks dark, but as mentioned it really pops in sunlight. My wife calls it "mature blue" as compared with the Nogaro Blue I'd been driving for over fifteen years.

Personally i don't do white, black, gray, or silver which is what the dealers order. Then all that's left is the Tango Red which is darker and redder than the former Misano Red.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just my view, but going for the S4 Avant in Navarra Blue with the chrome and red brake calipers, as feel it makes the car stand out for the right reasons.