S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Show me your phone mount in your S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Show me your phone mount in your S4

I’ve more or less hidden the charging cable from under the arm rest, underneath the center console trim and reappearing near the cup holder, but now I need a way to mount the phone. What is everyone using?

DaveGee
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts

Here you go. ProClip mount, 1’ lightning cable, iPhone XS Max. I’ve been using ProClip for many years in numerous vehicles with many different phones. Love them and always go for the dock-style mounts like this one.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you use CarPlay plugging into that USB location? I thought CarPlay would only work using the USB under the center console armrest.

DaveGee
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Can you use CarPlay plugging into that USB location? I thought CarPlay would only work using the USB under the center console armrest.

DaveGee
Absolutely. Use it every time I drive the car. If you notice in the pic, the phone is connected to CarPlay
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, thank you. I would have tried it myself but I’m out of the country right now.

DavaeGee
Old 02-02-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you aquire that perfect length sync cable pictured?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Where did you aquire that perfect length sync cable pictured?
I got that one on Amazon. But I just checked and they don’t sell it in that 1’ length anymore. But Anker makes a 1’ now that would work as well
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the mount I have.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-06-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I’ve more or less hidden the charging cable from under the arm rest, underneath the center console trim and reappearing near the cup holder, but now I need a way to mount the phone. What is everyone using?

DaveGee
OK, at the risk of having you think I'm being rude, I'll ask why you would want to mount the phone -- you can just put it under the armrest if you need/want it plugged in to keep it charged. If you get in your car with a fully charged phone and drive for under 30 minutes, you could also just keep your phone in your pocket. You can take/make hands-free eyes-free calls. You can play music from your library and initiate the tunes via voice. Or you can start a playlist or you can play songs with the phone set to shuffle play.

If you listen to Audio Books, you can start your book and let 'er rip.

The "mount" looks tacked on, not integrated, certainly not OEM.

The console placement would have to lead to a temptation to look down and to the right assuming you want to touch the phone, which would seem to be the point since the idea of putting it under the armrest and forgetting it seems to not be a choice.

My question then is why bother "mounting" a phone -- to me it just looks so Rube Goldbergish. Sorry if I insulted anyone -- after all what I said is just an opinion, and if you really want/need to do this, more power to you.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mark,
I can only speak for myself, not the original poster - but when I first got my car, CarPlay didn’t support Waze.. I use it every time I drive. So I had the mount specifically for that purpose. At this point now that Waze runs on CarPlay, I could ditch the mount.. As far as aesthetics, I don’t mind it. I do like not having to fumble with the cable when coming or going since in my case, it is a wired dock. I will say that the Audi is the first car I had that accomplished anything I may want to do with the phone without the need to see or pick up the phone.

At any rate - to each his (her) own.. I don’t think anyone would take offense to your query
Rick

Last edited by RickNY; 02-07-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Show me your phone mount in your S4