S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Sport Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Or do what I do. Leave it in S, then once up to speed engage the cruise control and let the car shift into 8th. This way as soon as you disengage CC for any reason the car is in 7th gear again and ready for a quicker throttle response.

I like what Audi has done here, they figure if you have CC on you don't really need the trans/engine to be in sport mode since you are planning on maintaining a constant speed.
This is what I do -- always in S and usually in ACC meaning when I reach the interstate and am on an 80MPH mission to get to my destination I am, indeed, in 8th gear.

I like it too, for the same reasons you cite.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ACC and "lane keeping" and what Audi calls pre-sense (with full stop) are standard or available even on some (many/most) KIAs. There are, of course, Audi specific inclusions in DAP -- but with "everyone" having some variation of DAP, my sense (no pun intended) is that Audi will follow and even the lesser models will (first) offer the OPTION (for $), then shortly (within one year) thereafter will include the DAP (or most of it) that I have on my S4 across all US imported cars.

When your Hondas and Toyotas and KIAs, etc. have these features (free or optional), Audi will, shortly, simply put it on all of the "premium" cars they offer in the US.

I stand willing and ready to be wrong, but this one is like back up cameras -- "everybody" has them about 15 minutes before they're required. Audi can't be a follower in this regard. Besides, the technology's cost has dropped substantially.

Although NOT standard, the following features are offered on a KIA Optoma -- they weren't standard on my S4 Prestige either.

KIA

Rear-Camera Display
Rear Parking Assist System (RPAS)
Surround View Monitor (SVM)
Blind-Spot Detection (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
Advanced Smart Cruise Control (ASCC)
Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS)
Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)

Seems to incorporate several/many of the things that are Prestige requirements + several of the key systems that are included with DAP. How can Audi not step up?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 09-19-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
ACC and "lane keeping" and what Audi calls pre-sense (with full stop) are standard or available even on some (many/most) KIAs. There are, of course, Audi specific inclusions in DAP -- but with "everyone" having some variation of DAP, my sense (no pun intended) is that Audi will follow and even the lesser models will (first) offer the OPTION (for $), then shortly (within one year) thereafter will include the DAP (or most of it) that I have on my S4 across all US imported cars.

When your Hondas and Toyotas and KIAs, etc. have these features (free or optional), Audi will, shortly, simply put it on all of the "premium" cars they offer in the US.

I stand willing and ready to be wrong, but this one is like back up cameras -- "everybody" has them about 15 minutes before they're required. Audi can't be a follower in this regard. Besides, the technology's cost has dropped substantially.
Certain aspects of DAP will become standard I agree, probably forced by regulations. Automatic emergency braking will soon become mandatory in the U.S. just like backup cameras. Other features not necessarily. Just because something is standard on a KIA doesn't mean it will be standard on an Audi. One example is Bluetooth Audio streaming, which required the optional Tech/Nav package. A feature that has been standard on many econ cars for quite a number of years now. I think it's finally standard even on an Audi. Eventually yes, things become standard over time as customers just expect them, but until full DAP is standard it'll probably be a few more generations. As Level 3 and higher establishes itself and the legislations are in place, then chance are that Level 2 functionality will become standard, but you have to pay for Level 3+ functionality.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S mode goes into 8th gear at "normal" speeds -- BASED ON HOW YOU HAVE BEEN DRIVING "RECENTLY."

Cruising down the Interstate -- with moderately heavy traffic, speeds of 50MPH seem to be the prima facie speed. The transmission will be in 8th gear.

If you're in D, same circumstances, the transmission will be in 8th.

The SQ5 (2018) will NOT upshift to 8th in S, no matter what -- until you reach ludicrous speed. I am assuming most of us rarely exceed 100MPH -- on the public highways. My excesses might be to 105 and might be for a few seconds -- there is too much traffic and I am a disciple of "assured clear distance" driving.

I drove 53K miles in S mode in a '14 S4 with the DSG transmission and it was, sometimes, more reluctant to upshift to 7th. The '18 S4 tiptronic has no hesitation.

However, if you are "playful" or aggressive with the '18, if you have recently floored it, for example, it will not go to 8th gear if the selector in in S mode until some time and or distance has passed that would indicate you are not in need of the extra thrust the additional RPM's would/could supply.

If you drive in S mode ALL of the time, the upshifts don't come as early as if you were in D. The impact is the car, in D, upshifts too early in the name of economy.

If you like the sluggishness -- or as I say, it feels like the emergency brake is enagaged -- D offers improved fuel economy, until you get on a long stretch of interstate -- then it makes little, if any, difference.

Once you get on the 100 mile stretch between Cincinnati and Columbus and cruise along at the posted speed limit or +5, +10 or even +20MPH, the transmission will be in 8th gear in D or S -- the difference is, IF you "need" the car to be more responsive, or even if you "want" it to, S will provide it via delayed upshifts, rev matched downshifts and most gears held or nominally at about 200-300RPM higher than if you were in D.

This car should have a D mode and no S mode, and D ought to be what you get in S mode -- but, as I often say "I'm often wrong, but never uncertain."
As a SQ5 owner I can confirm mine doesn't go into 8th gear in S during normal driving. It might when using cruise control, but why have it in S for that?

When hitting 135mph I was still in 6th gear. I could go faster because the road wasn't flat nor long enough to achieve the top speed. One day I'll find a place where I can test whether it will in fact hit 155mph or not.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, our SQ5, too, will NOT up-shift to 8th when the transmission is set to "S" regardless of the ADS's setting. My wife (a proponent of "manual" controls and a person who has, as far as I know, NEVER turned on cruise control) simply drives "until about 50+ mph in "S" and then shifts to "D" to assure an ultimate shift to 8th for economy.

I'll have to be behind the wheel to see if turning on the cruise (although our SQ5 is prestige, she ordered the heated steering wheel and would not go for the DAP option) will allow the transmission to shift to 8th on the Interstate at and above the posted speed limit (70mph in Ohio).
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with the opinion that "just because KIA -- or some other mfgr -- adds several of Audi's DAP features, there is not any assurance that Audi will, therefore, offer DAP as standard across all lines in the US." I do believe, however, that as Audi has taken the approach (marketing) that intelligence is the new rock 'n' roll, it will take away the Prestige requirement for DAP (step one), then follow up (as they introduce level 3) with making level 3 the option (extra cost) whilst they include what I have today in all of their US offerings.

Likewise, the top view camera will "trickle down" to the non Prestige models.

As a generation begins to age, Audi (historically) keeps upping the content by making what was "last year's" options, this year's standard equipment. The manufacturers are racing to get to level 4 piloted driving, and with Audi arguably being the first to offer level 3, Audi will (I assume) have the ability to implement level 2 (which seems to be pretty good -- via ACC -- at being a safety feature) across the entire lineup. Audi seems hell bent on being thought of as a technology leader, hence my extrapolation that they will promote DAP sooner rather than later.

Of course, I am speculating, but why market your cars as being intelligent and not make the "intelligence" widely (or completely perhaps) offered.

The new A6 will, based on what is offered as standard and optional equipment, more clearly define Audi's direction vis a vis DAP (again, my "prediction") -- we'll see within months what Audi plans to do.

Finally, the Spiderman movie also is meant to demonstrate Audi's prowess in the field of automatic-piloted driving. Audi, I assume, would be loath to pass up the opportunity to capitalize on this "product placement" -- especially since they, in no small measure, worked to engineer the Spiderman showcase.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can report that I am unable to get it the car in 8 in S mode after a week of trying. As others have pointed out it looks like S mode will shift to 8 only when cruise control is engaged, not sure whether that includes regular cruise or ACC.. I have not tried that since I have no reason to use cruise control in day to day driving. If that is true it's kind of dumb implementation on Audi's part.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Gravi, do you have "regular" or ACC?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by gravi
I can report that I am unable to get it the car in 8 in S mode after a week of trying. As others have pointed out it looks like S mode will shift to 8 only when cruise control is engaged, not sure whether that includes regular cruise or ACC.. I have not tried that since I have no reason to use cruise control in day to day driving. If that is true it's kind of dumb implementation on Audi's part.
My opinion on this is just the opposite of yours. I think it's better to keep the car in 7th gear while in 'S' mode in order to provide quicker response and acceleration when you mash the gas pedal. If the car upshifted into 8th it would have to downshift as soon as you applied some throttle in order to maintain the "S"porty characteristic that you asked the car to be in.

A typical daily highway drive for me involves lots of dodging slow cars in the wrong lane in order to get into a clear stretch of road, then maintaining a constant 80mph, until the next batch of slow cars (usually from the neighboring state) where I have to slow and wait for my next opportunity to make a quick dodge to the next bit of open road. So basically toggling between sporty driving and cruising. 'S' mode and cruise control work fantastic for doing this.

Now for someone who doesn't like cruise, or just doesn't have the right conditions to engage it, and they want the car to upshift to 8th, then the answer is really very simple, just pull back on the gear selector and car will change to D and shift to 8th. When you are ready to be sporty again, just pull back again and the car is in 7th. Basically similar to what we used to have to do back when the S4 still came with a manual transmission.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gravi, do you have "regular" or ACC?
Regular, I do not have DAP

Quick Reply: Sport Mode Question