S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Starting to look and feel old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have ZERO hands-on experience with any other smartphone than the iPhone. However, based on certain factors, if you do have an iPhone and you do have a music library that you have sourced and amassed from iTunes, you can press the button on the steering wheel and say, "Siri play the Beatles" or "Play Here Comes the Sun, by the Beatles" and I do believe you can say "Play Abbey Road, by the Beatles."

Certain things have to be in place for all of these choices to happen, so I don't want you to think that if you try what I have said LITERALLY and it poops out and doesn't do it that it can't be done.

Example, you have a Movie Soundtrack "album" that you have acquired from iTunes, and on that soundtrack is "White Room" by Cream. Nowhere else in your music library do you have this song. As I recall, I ran into a situation where I KNEW I had a song by an artist and Siri recognized the artist as THE SOUNDTRACK's name. So, when I (in my made up example) said, "Siri, play White Room by Cream," she couldn't find it until I said "Siri play White Room by (or from) The Pursuit of D B Cooper." This kind of thing happens very rarely, but I use Siri (activated by pressing and holding the "to talk" button on the steering wheel until you hear the apple kerplunk tone) and l she is mostly (90%) able to play what I want (assuming my iPhone is plugged in or Bluetooth connected) by voice command/request.

I can do the above on both the S4 and the Q8. Also, I send and receive all my text messages via voice (using Siri) meaning completely hand and eyes free. I hear it works for emails, too, but I bet that would be a bitch to do.
My music is in the car's Jukebox. Thus far, I've never loaded any music into my iPhone(s). After this post, I'm considering it!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlarke
When the A6 "everything is a touchscreen" layout makes it to the S4 and SQ5 level, I will be jumping ship and finding a new car company. I think a good click wheel kicks the hell out of a touchscreen.
I kind of feel the same, I have a 2015 S7 which I love, but those new touchscreens are not my cup of tea. My friend who is a bit older than I am leases a C7 A6, says he's switching because he hates the touchscreens. I'm more technologically inclined, so I might give it a chance, but I usually fiddle a lot with the climate control (don't like auto climate), and usually like to switch through music, phone, other apps, etc, and after driving a Q8 as a loaner vehicle for 5 days, I really had a hard time adjusting to the touchscreen. I really like the click scroll wheel MMI system, and AC ***** and buttons are basically programmed into my memory, and i never need to look to find them. I'm so use to Audi's great system, and it doesn't help that my summer car (M240i) and wife's car (GLC) both have a similar setup with a click wheel that also works good. I really think Audi screwed up with the newest infotainment. I wouldn't mind the top being touchscreen as much, but the AC controls would be far better if they were buttons/*****, even if it does make the car look less modern, its way more practical. I would worry about starting my car on a cold day only to find out that the screen is broken/won't load, I've seen it happen in a bunch of the new LR/Jag products, it doesn't help that Audi and VW are known well for their electrical issues. Looks like I'll be keeping my car for a bit longer, especially if the new S7 loses the V8.

Oh and for anyone who says, "just use the voice controls," still not the best solution, and really awkward to use, especially when there's company in the car.

Last edited by Joshua Stein; 01-15-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ZERO hands-on experience with any other smartphone than the iPhone. However, based on certain factors, if you do have an iPhone and you do have a music library that you have sourced and amassed from iTunes, you can press the button on the steering wheel and say, "Siri play the Beatles" or "Play Here Comes the Sun, by the Beatles" and I do believe you can say "Play Abbey Road, by the Beatles."
I'm an Android guy, and Google is much less friendly to album play. I can use the Google Assistant to play an artist, or a song by an artist, but it doesn't understand albums at all.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The new SE interface allows 8 garage doors to be programmed. When you pull into your driveway your screen (based on GPS) knows you're home and if you want, you can either press the "glass" or press the "*" button on the steering wheel.

I prefer the ceiling buttons. But, at least for now, I don't drive the Q8 every day. I still get to press the Garage Opener button overhead.
GPS activated garage openers seem a great idea, unless you happen to live in a house on your property where GPS thinks is down the road about 1 block from where it actually is.

Setting my home location manually fixes that problem. However, everyone who relies on Google maps, and nearly all other GPS systems, also get the wrong location.
Getting deliveries has been quite interesting since all delivery services use GPS, and they miss my house and go down the street only to discover that their GPS is telling them that they "have arrived" at their destination only to find empty land with lush grasses growing.
No, my house isn't invisible, it's back that way about 1 block, just don't use your GPS, use actual home-street numbers displayed on the front of the house, the telephone pole in the front yard, and the mailbox.

For me, I prefer a regular button to activate my garage door, that is NOT linked to GPS.
Artificial intelligence is still artificial, and it can be as faulty as the genuine thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The new SE interface allows 8 garage doors to be programmed. When you pull into your driveway your screen (based on GPS) knows you're home and if you want, you can either press the "glass" or press the "*" button on the steering wheel.

I prefer the ceiling buttons. But, at least for now, I don't drive the Q8 every day. I still get to press the Garage Opener button overhead.
Great, unless you happen to live in a house on your property where GPS thinks is down the road about 1 block from where it actually is.

Setting my home location manually fixes that problem. However, everyone who relies on Google maps, and nearly all other GPS systems, also get the wrong location.
Getting deliveries has been quite interesting since all delivery services use GPS, and they miss my house and go down the street only to discover that their GPS is telling them that they "have arrived" at their destination only to find empty land with lush grasses growing.
No, my house isn't invisible, it's back that way about 1 block, just don't use your GPS, use actual home-street numbers displayed on the front of the house, the telephone pole in the front yard, and the mailbox.

For me, I prefer a regular button to activate my garage door, that is NOT linked to GPS.
Artificial intelligence is still artificial, and it can be as realistically faulty as the genuine thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The GPS activates where you set it. So if you want it to activate a block away, it will do so. If you want it to activate 10 feet in front of the garage door, so be it.

I like the pushbutton personally (the S4 seems very easy and natural.) Now, if the gdopener was voice activated, well THAT would be something (Alexa open the door!)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

The GPS activates where you set it. So if you want it to activate a block away, it will do so. If you want it to activate 10 feet in front of the garage door, so be it.

I like the pushbutton personally (the S4 seems very easy and natural.) Now, if the gdopener was voice activated, well THAT would be something (Alexa open the door!)
Yes, I understand that, and that is what I wrote.

My overall comment is about using only default GPS, such as Google maps.
Using my Garmin GPS, with it's default finder, my house is shown as being a block away.
Thus, when people who don't know where my house is exactly, can't find it using GPS. I can set my home location in the Garmin manually so that it knows.
The issue exists for other addresses as well as some locations coordinates are listed incorrectly, so when a GPS seeks that address it uses errant coordinates.

Even when using Google Earth, my house is shown to be on an empty lot.
To fix it I was told to contact Google to get the correct coordinates into their system.

Last edited by TT-S4; 01-15-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given that the car already has cameras in front, the shrewd thing to do would be to automatically open the garage door it sees if you pause in front of it with the car in drive, or maybe pop up a "click here if you're going to park in the driveway" button.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlarke
Given that the car already has cameras in front, the shrewd thing to do would be to automatically open the garage door it sees if you pause in front of it with the car in drive, or maybe pop up a "click here if you're going to park in the driveway" button.
Hey, great idea!
Like "face" recognition, but for one's personal garage.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm...just for curiosity, have you tried using Audi's voice commands to try and activate the garage door opener?

That seems a good and sound idea that could be implemented into Audi's voice recognition system.

Quick Reply: Starting to look and feel old?