S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

VAG spec 508.00/509.00 oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default VAG spec 508.00/509.00 oils

Apparently I -- or someone -- must have done something to get the previous "oil" thread shut down. If I did something, I apologize, but I don't know what I did to cause the thread to get closed.

However, this topic certainly seems to be important to warrant getting closure. I have closure personally. But . . . if you don't:

It does appear that there is a documentation issue at play here regarding the required oil for our B9 3.0T engines -- but we do have access to the pdf (from Audi) which states the oil to use.

I'm satisfied.

My wife will be dropping her car off at the dealer today for the VW spec 508 oil and filter change.

I can always ask for some additional documentation -- what is it that "you" want specifically?

Things happen -- and this "thing" is pretty much unacceptable; but apparently my experience and what I have written here is insufficient. And, that't fine -- wouldn't it be a more direct route to pick up the phone and call the service manager and simply ask for the "official" documentation rather than repeatedly push back on my experiences and my secondary research?

The smartest guy in the room (at my dealer) probably has this "advisory" in his files or knows where to get it on line. And, I assume every dealer has one of these uber smarty-pants guys. Why not call him yourself if what you're looking for is some peace of mind that I would wager I cannot supply?

Since the PDF -- in this forum at least twice -- is apparently insufficient (even though it seems to have all of the earmarks of an Audi website document) evidence, I urge you to vet this to the level that will satisfy you.

I'm satisfied -- our 2018 3.0T "S" Audi cars require VW spec 508 0W-20 oil. Please research this to YOUR satisfaction.

Having said this, if I actually do get a physical piece of paper (that appears to have come from on-high) I will share it here in this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by uberwgn; 08-30-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think anyone is taking shots at your experience or research personally, Mark. I will at least say that I am not. Just felt it worth saying first off.

I think the issue is that if you cruise over to www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance or consult your owner's manual, you find no mention of 508 spec oil. You do however find this:

...which isn't even the 505 spec people are talking about in the other thread.

In the owner's manual you also see things about choosing an oil weight correct for your climate, confirmed in the screenshot above (original document available at the link I posted).

So the $16,000 (or whatever an out of warranty engine replacement cost is) question is: what engine oil(s) may I run in my US-Spec 2018 Audi S4 3.0T and still keep my New Vehicle Warranty intact, and may we owners please have an authoritative written document from Audi to supersede all others, to keep in our service records?

We need an official statement/answer from Audi on because the info elsewhere, as illustrated above, is incomplete, contradictory, and (so it seems) possibly wrong/outdated. I suspect the answer is more complex than "any oil that is green."

Last edited by mplsbrian; 08-30-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, let's keep this discussion technical and on-topic. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is the document -- and it is NEWER -- that, in part, I based my decision on.

It clearly says B-cycle.

It clearly says VW 508

It specifies the S4, S5 and SQ5

The older document has been, I assume, superseded by the 2017 pdf.

What may be -- I agree -- confusing is that the page one copyright says 2015. But the B-cycle 3.0T engines did not come to the US (Audi of America document) until 2017 (as 2018 models). The other confusing aspect is Audi's use of 3.0T to indicate in prior years (B8) SUPER-charging and in the B9 3.0T means TURBO-charging.

I believe this document, the articles written and the service manager's and the service guru's and the parts manager's and even my sales rep's "declarations" -- since they all are "dead on ***** accurate" (or at least they all agree with each other and the pdf I have attached here.)

Also, why in the wide wide world of sports would my service manager make the tech suck out the brand new oil he just put in and replace it and the filter with what he says he "knew" was the oil program for the B-cycle 3.0T motors? I doubt he did it just to "make me happy" (especially since he didn't charge me -- and he will certainly have to have a bunch of paperwork to 'splain what happened and why he "wasted" the oil + filter.)
Attached Files

Last edited by markcincinnati; 08-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, don't you have under-hood stickers calling out a known oil spec?

There typically is a service bulletin issued by VAG that will supersede what's described in the Owner's Manual. Maybe one of our members who work at a dealership can seek out this information??

(I've seen this exact scenario occur before with oil specs at VW. Sometimes it takes years for the service people to become aware of a changed oil spec, and then get the oil in stock, and start using it in the appropriate applications.)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
This is the document -- and it is NEWER -- that, in part, I based my decision on.

It clearly says B-cycle.

It clearly says VW 508

It specifies the S4, S5 and SQ5

The older document has been, I assume, superseded by the 2017 pdf.
Where did you retrieve that from / how did you find it?
It is concerning to me that https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance links to an older version of the document. How would an owner like myself find this if s/he didn't know it existed or think to ask/look/google?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Where did you retrieve that from / how did you find it?
It is concerning to me that https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance links to an older version of the document. How would an owner like myself find this if s/he didn't know it existed or think to ask/look/google?
Brian,

Good question. I found the PDF here:

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...rochure%20.pdf

I hope this helps.

Mark
Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Mark. It is helpful indeed, but is there a specific set of menus you had to click to find that page?

What I am ultimately getting at here is...what if theoretically Audi updates their guidance again six months from now. How will I find the new document without knowing the direct web link to the PDF itself (so that I can bookmark the landing page and check for a new document before changing my oil)? How will I find the "new list of approved oils" since the one on https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance is clearly outdated?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Apparently I -- or someone -- must have done something to get the previous "oil" thread shut down. If I did something, I apologize, but I don't know what I did to cause the thread to get closed.

However, this topic certainly seems to be important to warrant getting closure. I have closure personally. But . . . if you don't:

It does appear that there is a documentation issue at play here regarding the required oil for our B9 3.0T engines -- but we do have access to the pdf (from Audi) which states the oil to use.

I'm satisfied.

My wife will be dropping her car off at the dealer today for the VW spec 508 oil and filter change.

I can always ask for some additional documentation -- what is it that "you" want specifically?

Things happen -- and this "thing" is pretty much unacceptable; but apparently my experience and what I have written here is insufficient. And, that't fine -- wouldn't it be a more direct route to pick up the phone and call the service manager and simply ask for the "official" documentation rather than repeatedly push back on my experiences and my secondary research?

The smartest guy in the room (at my dealer) probably has this "advisory" in his files or knows where to get it on line. And, I assume every dealer has one of these uber smarty-pants guys. Why not call him yourself if what you're looking for is some peace of mind that I would wager I cannot supply?

Since the PDF -- in this forum at least twice -- is apparently insufficient (even though it seems to have all of the earmarks of an Audi website document) evidence, I urge you to vet this to the level that will satisfy you.

I'm satisfied -- our 2018 3.0T "S" Audi cars require VW spec 508 0W-20 oil. Please research this to YOUR satisfaction.

Having said this, if I actually do get a physical piece of paper (that appears to have come from on-high) I will share it here in this thread.

Thanks.
Yes, I was just about to post in the dead thread this:

I think clearly our B9's S4/5 (and most likely the SQ5) require VW 508.00.

We know Castrol make this, it is pretty green, etc.

Just to throw another option in there is Mobil 1 :

Mobil 1™ ESP x2 0W-20, pretty green as well, Walmart has it.

In the olden dino days there were superstitions about mixing one brand of oil with the same viscosity with another. Are there similar superstitions here or is any 508.00 as good as any other 508.00 and you can top off without worry if needed?

Mobil 1? ESP x2 0W-20
Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Thanks Mark. It is helpful indeed, but is there a specific set of menus you had to click to find that page?

What I am ultimately getting at here is...what if theoretically Audi updates their guidance again six months from now. How will I find the new document without knowing the direct web link to the PDF itself (so that I can bookmark the landing page and check for a new document before changing my oil)? How will I find the "new list of approved oils" since the one on https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance is clearly outdated?
I don't have an answer -- and your questions are valid, more than that, good even. My sources:

Audi world
Quattro world
Edmunds
Car & Driver
Automobile
Motor Trend
The Quattro Quarterly
Rumor and innuendo
Audi specific websites (and their subordinate sites)
and
Google

Believe it or not, I do have a full time job, so all that I do is more of a hobby or more appropriately an avocation. I am interested in Audis, obviously, but not just Audis. I read and view stories and reviews about many different cars.

My best advice is to seek input from others here on AW -- the folks here are damn near amazing when it comes to getting to the bottom of things.

Since this topic is less opinionated than most, and, I think, more important than many, it deserves to be answered.

Hopefully someone -- other than I -- will come up with suggestions that will address your concerns and answer your questions. If I get "the word" i will absolutely pass it on in answer to your questions.

Don't give up.

Quick Reply: VAG spec 508.00/509.00 oils