S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

What is used 2018 S4 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is used 2018 S4 worth?

A 2018 Prestige S4 with Driver Assists asking for $56,000 with 1200 miles at my local Audi dealer.
What's a realistic amount I can get that car for? How much should I offer them?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

General auto industry consensus is a vehicle loses 11% of its value when driven off the lot. But since nobody pays sticker and most are getting 5-6% off new ones, I would probaby expect to start negotiations around 11% off of whatever 5-6% back of sticker was.

A 1200 mile car should look completely brand new on the inside including that new car smell, save for *maybe* some small wrinkles in the nappa leather or something. If it doesn't I would start looking into why and start negotiating harder from there. If the owner also ran it through automatic car washes and it's covered in swirl marks (look closesly under bright lights, wax can hide these but once it wears off they will show) you can use that as leverage for another % too maybe.

TL;DR probably around 89% of whatever a new one can be had for adjusting a couple hundred down for any conditional dings if it wasn't respected in the single summer it could have been owned for here in the states.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
General auto industry consensus is a vehicle loses 11% of its value when driven off the lot. But since nobody pays sticker and most are getting 5-6% off new ones, I would probaby expect to start negotiations around 11% off of whatever 5-6% back of sticker was.

A 1200 mile car should look completely brand new on the inside including that new car smell, save for *maybe* some small wrinkles in the nappa leather or something. If it doesn't I would start looking into why and start negotiating harder from there. If the owner also ran it through automatic car washes and it's covered in swirl marks (look closesly under bright lights, wax can hide these but once it wears off they will show) you can use that as leverage for another % too maybe.

TL;DR probably around 89% of whatever a new one can be had for adjusting a couple hundred down for any conditional dings if it wasn't respected in the single summer it could have been owned for here in the states.
Thanks for the response!
They only went down to $54,000, so no deal.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The miles are certainly very low, and if the exterior and interior are to your liking, this would seem a great find. I got 6.5% off, on mine (new). The sticker was under $61,000, sorry I can't remember the precise amount. I also got Audi Care, which I thought was transferrable.

You should get -- at this mileage -- another ~5% off, would be my best, well-informed guess. Maybe less, perhaps more -- but not much either way. However, the dealer may want to "hold-tight" too. For all I know, the dealer might find this vehicle attractive for their loaner fleet, but the DAP package would, somewhat, suggest (to me) they'd rather sell it would be my guess.

Since we don't know what the MSRP was, it is, at this point, a bit of a crap shoot for us to provide much more than general (and perhaps well informed) suggestions.

I've never seen a Prestige without the Fine Napa Leather upgrade and many have the high-buck wheels (although I would deduct for those, personally). Also, even though there are two "free" paint colors -- most usually configured in Ibis white if that is the case -- many S4's, probably most, have "extra cost" paint colors. So, was the MSRP the cost of the Prestige package + the Driver Assistance package or did this specimen also have the leather, wheel, and paint upgrades? Moreover, remember AudiCare -- which I believe stays with the CAR, not the person who leased or purchased the car in the first place.

Sounds worth looking into, if you're in the market.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The miles are certainly very low, and if the exterior and interior are to your liking, this would seem a great find. I got 6.5% off, on mine (new). The sticker was under $61,000, sorry I can't remember the precise amount. I also got Audi Care, which I thought was transferrable.

You should get -- at this mileage -- another ~5% off, would be my best, well-informed guess. Maybe less, perhaps more -- but not much either way. However, the dealer may want to "hold-tight" too. For all I know, the dealer might find this vehicle attractive for their loaner fleet, but the DAP package would, somewhat, suggest (to me) they'd rather sell it would be my guess.

Since we don't know what the MSRP was, it is, at this point, a bit of a crap shoot for us to provide much more than general (and perhaps well informed) suggestions.

I've never seen a Prestige without the Fine Napa Leather upgrade and many have the high-buck wheels (although I would deduct for those, personally). Also, even though there are two "free" paint colors -- most usually configured in Ibis white if that is the case -- many S4's, probably most, have "extra cost" paint colors. So, was the MSRP the cost of the Prestige package + the Driver Assistance package or did this specimen also have the leather, wheel, and paint upgrades? Moreover, remember AudiCare -- which I believe stays with the CAR, not the person who leased or purchased the car in the first place.

Sounds worth looking into, if you're in the market.
They said the msrp was around 63k
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mplsbrian

I agree with your comments, your logic, and your conclusion -- almost to a "T" -- but not quite.

Although I stand willing to be wrong, I thought the "drive off the lot" depreciation number was OFF MSRP, not OFF the amount the first purchaser paid. The OP is already down to $54K from $56. I'm betting the thing has premium paint, leather, and the higher dollar wheels (it probably has the AudiCare if the dealer did their usual sales job for this "option.") Another $1,000 off, probably possible -- or split the diff, $500 off. Take it would be my advice -- especially if the color scheme is acceptable.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I agree with your comments, your logic, and your conclusion -- almost to a "T" -- but not quite.

Although I stand willing to be wrong, I thought the "drive off the lot" depreciation number was OFF MSRP, not OFF the amount the first purchaser paid. The OP is already down to $54K from $56. I'm betting the thing has premium paint, leather, and the higher dollar wheels (it probably has the AudiCare if the dealer did their usual sales job for this "option.") Another $1,000 off, probably possible -- or split the diff, $500 off. Take it would be my advice -- especially if the color scheme is acceptable.
People can probably get a new s4 at 8% off msrp which would make this car sold at $57960 according to truecar.
So if the previous owner added a down payment of 6k and 3 months worth of payments of $1000 that would be
$57,960 - $6k - $3k = $48,960

FYI: According to the car fax, it was an early lease trade in
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why would the "second" buyer get the benefit of the "first" buyer's cap cost reduction (using your theoretical cap cost reduction amount of $6K -- which isn't equity, as if that would matter to the second owner)? Wouldn't the second owner pay for the car minus depreciation? Are you saying you believe a $63K S4 with 1,200 miles on it should sell for about $49K ($14,000 off)? If that would be possible -- and provide profit for the dealer -- I would think this car (if it were known that the car could be purchased for that amount) would sell "immediately." I guess it is possible that the car would -- at RETAIL -- depreciate over 20% with 1,200 miles on it, but it just seems unlikely. At this "age" I would assume this particular car could probably be re-leased.

Do these cars depreciate (off MSRP) more than $4K per month in the early months?

Also, not that I don't believe the 8% claim (off MSRP new), is that pretty much the deal all over the US currently? I know as a NEW MODEL gets even into 7 months from release, that demand wanes a bit, but wow, 8% doesn't seem to be the "routine" discount provided in SW Ohio.

Thanks for your perspectives.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for comparison, my local dealer has a 2018 S4 PP loaded with 5500 miles asking 49K.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cheewy
Just for comparison, my local dealer has a 2018 S4 PP loaded with 5500 miles asking 49K.
What was the MSRP?

Quick Reply: What is used 2018 S4 worth?