S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Winter wheel & tire options

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used these on my 2014 S4. For our 2017 Q7, we used Audi replica wheels which have worked well, look great and were much less expensive than the OEM package.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gar...racite+Painted
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using winter wheel and tire package from SQ5

I just traded in my SQ5 for an S4 and was wondering if I can use my 19X8.5 wheels and 235/55R19 tires on the S4. i checked on the Tire Rack site and they still do not have the 2018 S4 listed.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQ5NUT
I just traded in my SQ5 for an S4 and was wondering if I can use my 19X8.5 wheels and 235/55R19 tires on the S4. i checked on the Tire Rack site and they still do not have the 2018 S4 listed.
They do have the S5 listed, though, and that's an identical car.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

At minimum it will look funny: you'll gain 47mm in ride height and have around a 13% speedometer error due to the higher sidewall on those SQ5 tires, which makes the whole setup larger in diameter. It will probably fit in the wheel well, but it will be tight and you might make contact on harsh bumps due to less travel space.

Whether they will clear the calipers/strut depends on the offset of the wheel, which you didn't specify.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the quick responses. I don't think the calipers will be a problem as I had the large red calipers and they cleared those but I was worried about the wheel well clearance and the ride height issue. I think I will sell them and wait a season to see how the S4 does in the snow with the Pirelli's it came with.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

to see how the S4 does in the snow with the Pirelli's it came with.
Which Pirellis? If they are summer tires...please do not do that. Summer tires utilize a very different rubber compound than winters or all seasons, and turn into the consistency of hockey pucks below about 40 degrees F and are completely unsafe even on clear dry roads.

It's so unsafe that in most European countries it is illegal, and your car will be towed for it.

If your Pirellis are all-seasons, disregard/carry on.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Which Pirellis? If they are summer tires...please do not do that. Summer tires utilize a very different rubber compound than winters or all seasons, and turn into the consistency of hockey pucks below about 40 degrees F and are completely unsafe even on clear dry roads.

It's so unsafe that in most European countries it is illegal, and your car will be towed for it.

If your Pirellis are all-seasons, disregard/carry on.
They are the Cinturato P7's. 245/40 R18 97Y tires.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
They do have the S5 listed, though, and that's an identical car.
Spoke with Tirerack. They said buying S5 spec wheels and tires for the S4 would be at one's own risk. He couldn't say when S4 will be up on their site.

If I were to go ahead and get the 18" wheels listed for 2018 S5, what offset should I get to best ensure proper fitment?

I'm looking at these. Will they fit?
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...kageFlow=false

This search for winter setup has been somewhat frustrating. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobeit
Spoke with Tirerack. They said buying S5 spec wheels and tires for the S4 would be at one's own risk. He couldn't say when S4 will be up on their site.

If I were to go ahead and get the 18" wheels listed for 2018 S5, what offset should I get to best ensure proper fitment?

I'm looking at these. Will they fit?
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...kageFlow=false

This search for winter setup has been somewhat frustrating. Thanks a bunch.
Of course they will say that. And of course the S5 and S4 have the same wheel fitment. You will be fine. The critical thing is brake clearance. If the wheel clears the S5 brake, it will clear the S4 brake.

The OEM rim is ET40, so the ET35 will be fine. But don't go too much farther away from the stock offset.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
You can put whatever tires you want on it as long as you are conscious enough to never over-drive what they are rated for. Audi electronically limits the S4 to 130mph when ordered with H-rated all seasons, to pass safety regulations and protect people who don't understand that from themselves.

As for aftermarket wheel options, believe me I am looking closely but nobody seems to have confirmed fitment info just yet and I am determined to wait for it because those front brakes are no joke. My plan is to fit 18" aftermarket replica wheels and either Conti WinterContact SIs or Michelin Alpin PA4s. Cost will be between $1500-2000 with wheels, mount, balance depending on which of the two tire choices I go with.
Yeah, tirerack's website is incomplete on the s4 18" winter tire/wheel situation. I'm in a similar situ- picking up an S {something} w/ 19"s in dead of winter my when lease is up. And I was considering the same 18" aftermarket /Alpins.

And you ain't kidding- I saw the front brakes on the s4/5 today for the first time in person, and they are ridiculously huge! They dwarf the rears. I think it was because the red calipers definitely called attention to that for me.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel & tire options