S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

$1,700 for an MTM Exhaust?!?!?!?! Someone is smoking illegal narcotics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 07:22 AM
Philip M.

Default $1,700 for an MTM Exhaust?!?!?!?! Someone is smoking illegal narcotics!

What are they thinking????? I laughed at the guy. Nowhere near woth that much $$$. Sorry for the complaint, guys. Am I insane?
Old 01-24-2000, 07:36 AM
Dave M

MTM and Hoppen do seem to be gouging.
Old 01-24-2000, 07:37 AM
KevinH

Default If I go with an exhaust, it will be MTM...

the reason being the volume of it. I know they went through a lot of trouble to make sure it has high flow while retaining close to stock noise levels. That is a very high priority on my list. The last thing I want is my daily driver sounding like a race car. I went through that with my 2.8 30V and yanked it after two months. Some might want the aggressive tone, but I prefer the subdued tone without any cabin resonance.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:10 AM
BruceS4

For that kind of money(probley less) you could have one custom made out of Stainless to your specs.
Old 01-24-2000, 08:26 AM
Raudi-S4

Default Don't forget is a capitalist economy. He can charge whatever he wants. We don't have to buy it.

Obviously, there will be those with the money who don't care to research and hunt for the best buy. Hoppen wins. But, I would bet the vast majority of us are going to look for the best value for the dollar given the incremental boost in power. IMHO, anything over $600.00 is too high but I don't think I'm going to find one for less than $800.00

MikeP aka RAudi-S4
-00'S4 Tip, Eibach, GIAC
Old 01-24-2000, 08:30 AM
Tristan

Default Re: If I go with an exhaust, it will be MTM...

I completely understand and respect your need for low volume and resonation inside the cabin. However, I fully contend that making exhaust is not rocket science. I also completely understand and respect someone's need for a name brand tuner like MTM. For this reason, one might choose MTM. However, I hardly think that MTM knows significantly more about exhaust so as to warrant $1700 for pipes. That is just silly IMO. I have driven the stock, chipped, and chipped + exhaust (Lltek) S4, and the marginal improvement in the latter due to exhaust is small. It is better maybe with the exhaust, but not $1700 better (again, just IMO) Each of us has a crossover for what the cost/beneit of performance is, but my crossover is FAR away from the price of the MTM exhaust.
Flame if you want, but I'll probably win. (just kidding... a little humor to keep it light)
Tristan
Old 01-24-2000, 09:38 AM
John

I believe the sound levels should be lower and the gains higher with turbo engines.
Old 01-24-2000, 10:06 AM
KevinH

Default Re: If I go with an exhaust, it will be MTM...

The LLtek would be a good choice for someone that doesn't care about the color, but the first thing I noticed with the pics that were posted was the big red can under the car. Looked like Maaco overspray to me (humor, not ment to rain on anyone's decision). Even if you paint it, it will still look odd on my silver car. APR is known to make quality products but I dislike their tip designs. I have gone the Scorpion route before, so that leaves MTM for me. I don't want to say money isn't a issue, but I would rather pay a litlle more than have something I really don't think looks/sounds right on my new 40K car. I thought the pictures Nate posted and on his web site were the best so far, and when I called MTM they stated that one of their highest priorities was to keep the sound as stock as possible. Nate's web page with pics http://www.protomatter.com/nate/s4/
Old 01-24-2000, 10:07 AM
I have true dual muffler for sale!!!

Default Muffler Designed specifically for the S4!!100% stainless,MORE!

it incorporates many features not found in most mufflers..i had the designer put in smooth bore inlets to increase exhaust gas velocity/and abalnce area for exhaust gas scavenging!!!it is sized specifically for the S4 and can be polished to chrome!!!$170, plus shipping!!! dual 2 1/4 in and dual 2 1/4 out
Old 01-24-2000, 10:11 AM
sorry heres my email address

Re: Muffler Designed specifically for the S4!!100% stainless,MORE!

Quick Reply: $1,700 for an MTM Exhaust?!?!?!?! Someone is smoking illegal narcotics!