S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ABS and ESP momentarily went on after some hard driving through the canyon. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and ESP momentarily went on after some hard driving through the canyon. Thoughts?

I have seen this posted before, but have never really paid much attention.
I was driving home after some dinner through a conyon, running the car quite spiritedly, and at the bottom at the stop light, the ABS and ESP lights came on simultaneously (I know they work hand in hand so that is normal for them to come on at the same time) for about 10 seconds or so that I noticed at least, and then went off.

Any thoughts? What would cause this and is there any worry to this?

Thanks
Keegan
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM

Default my guess is boiling brake fluid

making the system go a little whacky.
my car does the same thing WHILE i am mid turn (like on a auto-x course) only the abs light though, not esp. i think if your esp light is going on it is a edl issue. but i thought that was only after 15 mph.

thats pretty interesting that it happened while you were stopped. my guess is fluid or maybe even low pads?

good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Thanks. Is it something harmful if it keeps popping up?

BTW, your comment about wolscod's height and waist size made me ROFLMAO. Needed that.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:14 PM

interesting that "The ESP pulses the Brakes thru the ABS pump for traction control"
Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Boiling the brake fluid makes sense because light was right after a long hill (didnt dn shft)

maybe I need some new fluid? Or would this not matter?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This the EDL system at work. It applies an artificial torque to one wheel which helps the open diff

It has limited use in very slippry conditions and is utterly useless on the track. I understand why they implemented it, but an LSD would have been much better.

The traction control also cuts throttle, boost, and timing.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You overloaded the flux capacitor.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:45 AM

Default oh no no no. i was trying to say i got those lights but for different reasons

i think it was because the brake fluid was low, and so whenever i took a turn really hard the light would go on as the fluid sloshed. at least that was my best guess. i could never figure it out.
i had esp off so i know it wasn;t that......i have yet to figure this out. maybe this summer i will be able to.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:48 AM

Default ok, now that i read this, i understand exactly what was happening on the auto-x course

now i have to figure out what i can do to prevent it. does this mean i was outdriving the technology? or does it mean i was driving poorly enough to allow the technology to take over? and i assume pulling the abs fuse will not completely kill this......if in fact the abs is bypassed as part of EDL?

very cool info, thanks chris and eric
Old 03-26-2004, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There isn't much you can do. Depending on what year your car is...

you may be able to use Blitz's EDL cutoff swtich. It's in the archives somewhere.

Otherwise do your best to drive smoothly. Wheelspin hurts your times and causes our sensor overloaded cars to freak out.

Quick Reply: ABS and ESP momentarily went on after some hard driving through the canyon. Thoughts?