S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Acura TL-S vs. Audi S4 (S4 reliability issues)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TL-S vs. Audi S4 (S4 reliability issues)

Hey all. Don't flame me for comparing the Acura TL-S to the S4. I'm in a quandary and am hoping this forum can give me some more info to make a decision. This should help out others who might be interested in purchasing an S4 as well.

I'm looking to buy my first new car. I've got it narrowed to the Acura TL-S and the exquisite S4. I love the S4. Handling, breaking, ride, looks--all good. But, from reading this forum and other places on the Net, it seems to me the S4 is plagued with problems. Turbo failures, tire failures (which can be fixed by simply putting better tires on), transmission failures, paint chipping, and others. I want a car that will be reliable and not be in the shop every other month. Plus, I intend to keep my next car for a very long time, so it needs to last beyond the warranty period with as few problems as possible.

So, the main question--is the S4 really as problematic as it seems?

By comparison, the Acura TL-S (which is an automatic) is faster 0-60 when you compare it to the tiptronic version of the S4 (of course, I'd be getting the manual if I go with the S4). The TL-S also runs about 8k cheaper. Comes with 6-disc in-dash changer (much more convenient than a trunk mounted changer). The TL-S rides good, but it's not as quiet in the cabin as the S4. Handling is amazing for a FWD car. TL-S has a little more interior room. Gas mileage is better and it has a bigger tank. And, I know a Honda built car is going to last a long time, and it will hold its value better than an Audi.

I probably wouldn't be chipping the S4 (it has plenty of power for me). I wouldn't be racing it at the track. Basically, I'd be doing a lot of everyday driving (albeit very spirited every day driving). I put about 25k miles a year on a car, so warranty period will be gone quickly.

I'd appreciate any comments any S4 owners (especially any who have owned an S4 for more than a year) might have on the upkeep and reliability of this car. Has anyone out there had a year or more of completely trouble free ownership where something doesn't break or go wrong on the car?
Old 04-18-2001, 11:58 AM

If your not going to race it or drive it hard, get the S4 cuz its all wheel drive.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not.....get the S4 if you know you like it. You won't regret it.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:05 PM

Go with the Acura for your situation. $8,000 is quite a bit of money to save over the S4!
Old 04-18-2001, 12:09 PM
e

Default Shouldn't it be the opposite? S4 is MUCH more fun than the TL, type S or not, when driven hard

Don't get me wrong, TL is a nice car to cruise in and relax, but lacks character, and to be honest, is incredibly boring to drive. Great comfortable interior though, but that's compared to my A4.

If you're looking for something fun to drive, that has a soul and character, go with the S4.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Acura TL-S vs. Audi S4 (S4 reliability issues)

I've had my S4 for a little more than a year. I've had my share of problems. Mainly quality issues, like a rattling door. The dealer also delivered the car to me with a bad alignment. Anyway, my point here is I've never had any mechanical problems(knock on wood)...no turbo failures or anything like that. I drove the car stock for a year so all the bugs could be worked out. It runs like a champ.

Although the S4 costs 8k more, it is definitely worth it.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default H8 to burst your bubble but

if u like Ricey, then that Acura is for you. In no way does it hold a higher resale than an S. All the things you see on this posting about concerns regarding warranty and paint etc... are because of people spending lots of money and want a car that can take on anything. A car is a car. Get what u like I purchased 3 audis lst year and they are all great, no problems on any of them and the service I have received is absolutely amazing.
Also where did you get your info on the 0-60 of the Acura? To my knowledge the Integra type R was their fastest which was still slower than a Tip S4.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:14 PM
e

True, but you can't compare the reliabilty of an Audi (oxymoron) to a Honda/Acura
Old 04-18-2001, 12:16 PM
e

Default Another thing to consider is that most owners that don't have problems won't post about it

You'll hear more about bad things happening than not happening/good things happening.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Acura TL-S vs. Audi S4 (S4 reliability issues)

While the TL S type is good car, and kudo's to Acrua for beefing up the TL, I perfer the S4. While there may be longevity issuses with a turbocharged engine there are 3rd party companies that offer very comprehensive warranties considering the amount of miles you plan to drive.
Once I sat in the S4 and pulled away from the dealers lot for a test drive I knew this was the car for me. Whatever your decision you will end up with a well built automobile.

Quick Reply: Acura TL-S vs. Audi S4 (S4 reliability issues)