S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

After reading this thread, it makes you wonder what do we all do for jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After reading this thread, it makes you wonder what do we all do for jobs?

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/474340.phtml

That guy is my hero. Its nice to know that there are real people out there in the world that can realize that life isn't about hte money, rather helping others out. No I've never had that happen, but have been in other situations where people needed help and go out of my way to help them out. Cars broken down on the side of the road, stop and help em....even if its raining. A truck was overheating in the middle of nowhere, stopped and took the guy for coolant/water, bought him a soda and a snack, and took him back and made sure he was on his way.....etc...

Now trust me, I'm not well off at all. I'm a 23 year old college student and father that is starting a VW/Audi retail business, while working sucky jobs on the side. I work hard to have what little I have (material possessions wise), but I would still do what he did, even with the $200 to help a guy out. Maybe I'm just nice, maybe I'm stupid, who knows.

Either way, it makes you think a bit, and wonder what kinda jobs we have to get where we are....so really, what do you do for a living? And would you be willing to help someone out like that?

(I know I'm rambling, but that post really should be AW post of the year)
Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default post of the year for 2001 maybe

havent seen dan around much lately.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

then repost of the year.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Default What he didn't tell you is that the kid then pulled out a .45, shot him and stole his S4.....

and the rest of the small bills in his wallet, drove to Jersey and sold the car to the russian mafia for "research & development" purposes. Ohh by the way, the glass is half empty =)
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So thats why he hasn't been around...
Old 02-15-2006, 03:54 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Honestly, no, I wouldn't.

I've made similar gestures twice...given people money "just to get home" because they've found themselves in unfortunate circumstances. Once in Philly, and once in a parking lot at Kennedy airport. The individuals I was "helping" solicited my help and promised to return the money. My being naive and wanting to help...well, that money wasn't to be seen again. It wasn't about the money, it was about trust. People like that are like vultures of society...they just want $10 or $20, but they have NO idea what the real impact of their actions are.

I can't say I'll never help a person in need again, but I can't tell you how many times I've told people "NO" the second I smell a scam. Hell, many times I won't even let them finish a sentence. It's very possible someone genuinely in need of help has or will cross paths with me sometime in the future. It really sucks, but that's the way it is...especially if you live anywhere near a big city.

I've helped plenty of people that haven't asked for a dime...just a little assistance when things go horribly wrong (accident, etc.). Even then I'm selective about who and when. A guy got shot 10 years ago near my house for helping an individual broken down on the side of the road. I've driven past people in need of help...because the circumstances didn't leave me feeling safe. Same deal as above...sucks that people have made the world this way, but that's the world we live in.

Now would I have helped that kid? Frankly, I don't think I would noticed he was in need of help. New Yorkers often walk through life with blinders on. They don't make eye contact with others as they walk down the street...it's a way of life. Doesn't mean they don't care or they won't help...just that they are trained to keep moving, unless stopped.

Thanks for the opportunity to reflect.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would help him if I had the opportunity and realized help was needed.

I too don't really live pay check to pay check; I'm certainly lucky to have what I have and to be where I am. Despite this, however, I am certainly guilty of complaining about trival money issues; like not have stage 3 cash.
However, I believe that lessons in humility are good for every individual, regardless of socioeconomic status or need. Proper perspective is built by comparison.