S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

alright GA boys (or anyone), i need your advice on a speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alright GA boys (or anyone), i need your advice on a speeding ticket...

i have 3 weeks left to mill over this. i recieved a "speeding violation" just south of atlanta the friday before new years. while i admit to traveling (to you, never the officer) above the posted speed i was pulled over in the far left lane where the speed just dropped to 65. i noticed the speed change and in no way in hell was i doing 10 over. next thing i know i see an officer pull into traffic and i knew i was getting a ticket. my wife, as calm as she could be, also realised that the detector never went off. i was a little pissed. but not nearly as bad as when he asked me why i was doing 86 in a 65. 86 IN 65, WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?! i noticed about 4 other cars pulled over in front of me and said honestly to the officer that there was no way i was going that fast, and if it was possible to see the readout/ printout, something!!! he replied that his sargeant was sitting on the last overpass and hit me with laser, and commented that he had already reset the gun and used it a couple more times. i was pissed, pissed. oh did i mention that i live in florida and have a UF alumni sticker on my car. well i noticed that the other cars were also from out of state, except for the RED eclipse spyder gt. in the malee the officer was getting agitated that i was holding him up and commented that i could take it to court if i had a problem with it. well he proceeds to give me back my license and registration as well as some misc paperwork for me. included in his packet was a sheet that commented on the other fines i would recieve for not having insurance. not having insurance, he didn't even check it!!!!! so my wife gets out of the car and tries to ask him about where he is struggling to get onto the highway to pull over more cars. he told my wife that he told me the fee schedule was on the back along with other information which he told me to read. BULL****!!! he did not tell me this, and my wife decided to call him out on this, which he didn't like. anyways i went back to the supposed officer on the overpass surveying the scene and making the roadways safer for all of us when his "partner" greeted us. i explained to him the situation and he had the same comment, get a court date if you have a problem with it. well my laser detector didn't go off once, and my wife noticed there was no gun to be found with the officer shooting traffic. only a radio which he was calling out cars with (scares me a little). so i don't know what i should do. it it was a $50 fine i would deal with it since i know i was honestly over the speed limit during the trip, but $175 is a lot of money for this crap. it is also a 10-11 hour round trip from my house, not including having to be there at 9am. i also want to note that the ticket has GA state patrol marked on it and the court is monroe county probate court. any help would be greatly appreciated as i have never appeared in court for anything.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:19 PM

Default Tough fight but why not? College Park PD got me Friday

The way I look at it...they would need to write me 10 tickets a day for the rest of my life to make things equal. I would just pay it, but then again, I deserve it.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Elder Member

Default Damn dude, whatcha doin' in College Park?

Straight-up thuggin' in da' ghetto, y0!

Hehehe, I went to highschool there too. :-)
Old 01-28-2002, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Best excuse: "Going to Hartsfield."
Old 01-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Elder Member

I'll bet Mitchell got stopped on the Loop Road.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:34 PM

Default Serious reply...

It sounds like from the post that most, if not all the cars, were from out of state that they pulled over. If these people got tickets, then there is probably a record of it that shows all these cars (from out of state) getting pulled over.

If this is true, and it sounds like they were targeting these people, then I would call the precinct and have a litte talk with them during the day, during the week. Talk to somebody high up, not some street officer. Threaten to call the local media in your home town and start a ruckus (yes, a ruckus) and give them mucho bad publicity, and that here will be an "investigation". I bet you could make this "dissappear".

I have big *****, and you may not want to go this route. But I would be pissed if this happened to me, and I would take action.

Oh, and by the way, I lived in the south (MS) for quite some time, so I know how crooked it is. Luckily, I knew a lot of powerful people. If you try to fight it in court and use the system, you don't have a $2 singapore *****'s chance in a beijing prison.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like you have a few factors to work with (m)

With other cars around you, you can claim they got the wrong one, since they did a handoff on stopping you, again they got the wrong one. You have a witness who can back up your story. If you really think they didn't have a laser, you can find out a lot of info under the freedom of information act. Check out the link for some good information to get you started.<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorists.com/">Natl. Motorists Assoc.</a></li></ul>
Old 01-29-2002, 06:29 AM

Default Going to Midtown

I was on 85 North. We all have some pretty impressive runs to ATL so there are always bragging rights involved with APR employees. I was late and on respectable run but my the race gods were angry. I know what they were pissed about, I didn't use Chevron when I fueled up in Auburn.