S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Alright Guys, my review.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright Guys, my review.

Well, since I've been driving around the S for a week now I suppose I'll pipe up and give a review as well.

...I just have no idea where to start.

Alright, I have a very similar setup to Tory's. The following are different:

Cat-back: Stock
Cams: Stock
Suspension: Stock
Differential: Stock
Wheels: Stock

Okay, now that we have that established let's take a peek inside the engine bay. Lifting the hood you can see the top of the FMIC. It's very well hidden behind the bumper, there is no bulging when looking at the bumper and everything lines up perfectly. Moving back, there is the electric fan kit. It's set to operate constantly once the car is on at low speed. From the top of the engine as Tory said you can just barely see the whites of the manifolds. If you look back towards the firewall the TiAL wastegates peek out at you. Underneath the engine is held to the chassis using ASP competition motor mounts. For me, these are too rough. I just can't do the vibrations at low speeds. Once you're going above 30mph it's like driving a stock S4, but since I do a lot of city driving they're driving me batty. But, I have to say, nothing, I mean, nothing moves with these mounts. Falling back a little further the tranny is also locked into place using ASP competition mounts. I really enjoy these combined with the snub mount and TSB. There is no transmission movement and it is wonderful.

Some driving impressions.

City:

Idle
I really have two complaints. One has already been identified, the mounts. The second is my idle. At idle it tends to hunt for the idle speed and misfires at idle. This may just have something to do with my lack of dyno time (read: none), and that I'm running Tory's file with some very slight tweaks. After some talks with Mark, the general feeling is that with dyno time the idle can be leveled out perfectly.

Driving
The car is very well behaved while city driving. She moves nicely in first gear and second gear. I can be lazy with shifts and have no complaints. Since city driving has me in fourth gear a lot, it's a quick downshift to third or second to access power and past whatever I want. If I leave it in fourth and attempt passing below 2k RPM the lag is very prevalent. On the other hand, I'm used to downshifting so I don't mind this in the slightest. I haven't found myself missing the K03 w/ ASP sauce at all. Friends love the car. (John to Chris after reading City Driving: "What else should I put in there?" "First gear pulls hurt my *********").

Gas Mileage
Um...I've been really, really heavy with the right foot, so...let's not go there.

Highway:

Driving
Not a single complaint. Cruising in this car is akin to cruising in a stock S4. Now, if I'm in 6th and attempt to floor it to pass, while hanging around 3000, I will notice a tiny lag for a few seconds as the car builds to full boost. But once I hit 3800 it's game over and I'm moving. A quick downshift to 5th buys me full boost instantly and passing is disturbingly short. (John to Chris after reading Highway Driving: "What else should I put in there?" "Everything about your car takes a disturbingly short period of time.").

Gas Mileage
I pulled in 24mpg on the way back to Pitt.

Overall Impressions:

I don't have a single regret about getting this kit. It is by far some of the best money I've ever spent, right on par with purchasing and upgrading the Supra and purchasing the S4. The car is perfect for daily driving. I think once those motor mounts are changed out and once the car is fully tuned it'll be flawless *knocks on wood*. The woo hoo factor as the car builds to 3800RPM is there, but once you hit 3800, it's just pure sex. The boost is very smooth as it builds and you're not taken by surprise when you hit full boost.

Before I went with GTs, I took a ride in a GT car and a K04 car back to back. I just was completely unimpressed with the K04 car as compared to the GT car. This is by no means to be taken as offense to K04 guys!!!!! I think that what you are able to do is amazing and well beyond anything I could have done! You guys are the pioneers for our platform that paved the way for things like GT kits! So thank you for everything.

Guys, any comments, questions and flames are appreciated. I'm sorry, but I have no logs, I'm buying ECUx this Hanukkah and will take them after the car is fully tuned by Mark.

Finally, I want to thank Mark, Frank, Tory, Brian, Andy, the Autospeed guys, I can't thank you all enough for making this kit happen.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Awesome write up...

*jealous A4 owner*

Seems like with any upgraded motor or trans mount you get the vibration at idle and low speeds.

Even my A4 with the 2.8/S4 motor mounts and the 034MS trans mount I get the vibration at idle, but that's it, once I get moving the vibration is gone.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you. Same with these mounts, once moving, it's fine. I'm just finicky.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Default you'll eventually get used to it. I have. :-)

but almost every passenger I've had has made at least one comment about it. :-/
Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's funny, it really seems I'm the only one that notices it. My passengers don't seem to notice

anything!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL....love the last pic!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rofl, thank you!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
IBG
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm, I get the vibration in the steering wheel and some slight cabin vibration.

It could be because I have the hard 034 mount and the stock drivers side 1.8 tranny mount. Hopefully when 034 comes out with the upgraded drivers side it helps with the cabin vibration.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm hoping for ASP to come up with a softer mount <crosses fingers>
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

clean your car...you are making the garrett gods upset :P

Quick Reply: Alright Guys, my review.