S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

another S4 tip quirk i've noticed.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another S4 tip quirk i've noticed.....

moderate to aggressive starts (in automatic mode) feel like they only result in major front wheel spin. as if driving a hi-torque front-wheel-drive car. doesn't feel like any power going to the rear.

or maybe rears are spinning a little also but since steering wheel only attached to fronts that's all i perceive to be breaking traction?

i would have expected the center torsen diff to prevent front wheel spin on dry pavement. but i suppose if torque splits 50/50 front/rear and upon launch front end becomes unloaded then X amount of torque to front may spin only the fronts, but X to the rear may not spin the rears? i dunno, just a random theory that struck me.

have P6000 rubber, 7k miles, '01 (Dec '00 build) tip S4.

car is bone stock.

also notice on occasion if really nail down the gas from a dry pavement standstill i get huge engine revs (like to redline) but car goes nowhere, totally bogs down. don't feel tires spinning. feels like tranny massively slipping - but no burning smells afterward. not sure what's up there. best launches are with very light gas pedal action at first then as soon as it grabs 2nd nail it down. can't seem to get it to hold 1st to save my life.

my dealer is perpetually clueless so it's useless to bring this to their attention.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:21 PM
Elder Member

Default Wheel spin? Are you sure? You doing this on sandy/gravely roads?

I have yet to experience any sort of wheel spin, even on sandy/gravely roads (plenty of construction where I live).

As for your boging problem, that sounds sreious. You may want a different dealer to look at it. It may just be the odd sensation of the massive rear-end squat coupled with the delay while the Tip decides what gear it's supposed to go into that you get when you nail the throttle. Also, the Tip automatically shifts from 1-2 at ~1800 RPM under light throttle, but it will hold till redline if hammered.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:28 PM

Default Wheel Spin? I've never had any wheelspin in my tip.

Maybe a chirp once or twice from the rear tires...but never any total wheelspin. I don't think you can do that in a 6spd either.

The bogging down could possibly be some turbo failure. If you're not hitting ~40 in first gear with the pedal floored, you've got a problem bro. Check your dealer, it could be your turbos.

Which reminds me, how many tip owners have ever blown a turbo? Is it even possible w/ revs computer controlled?
Old 06-19-2001, 04:57 PM

Default I think I know what he means by "bog"

It happens to me from time to time... the tip likes to lock the torque converter pretty quickly for more efficient power and more direct feel, sometimes, under light throttle, it'll rev up in either 1st or 2nd and really won't go anywhere. Simply lots of slippage with the torque converter. Seems more like the tranny thinks you aren't going to pound it so it prepares to shift, and then you press the pedal some more and it isn't ready to give you power. 'Though I have no problems getting it to stick in 1st gear if I give a nice smooth jab at the pedal from a stop.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorta like a mini rev it up in neutral and drop back into a gear right? - all of a sudden

bam! and you take off :-) - I hate that when that happens - but you kinda seem to live with it and learn how to avoid it
Old 06-19-2001, 06:12 PM

Default happened a lot to me at first until I figured out how to avoid it...

my dealer also installed a new tip control module that seems to have helped significantly.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:25 PM

Default No wheel spin, but had that quirk too - UNTIL FAILURE

I haven't noticed the wheel spin, but the hesitation was evident from day one until about 6700 miles. That's when the tranny failed, the service report said "incorrect 1st gear ratio". Audi replaced it and I'm quite happy since. 16,000 and no more problems....
Old 06-19-2001, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That just can't be right - you *can't* do that to an S4 with the wheel straight.

Even the most powerful straight-line launch with a 6-speed won't give you wheel-spin like that, so there's no way the tip can do it. You must be feeling something else...maybe something really strange with the torque converter.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:17 PM
Elder Member

Default Ahhh, actually, I think I occasionally have something similar happen...

when I first start the car, though. The tranny revs up to like 3K with little "go" before roughly shifting into second. But this behavior goes away after about 10 min.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:12 PM

its called turbo lag!!!!!

Quick Reply: another S4 tip quirk i've noticed.....