S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

any install tips for stasis? I just cut out of work to get them on today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any install tips for stasis? I just cut out of work to get them on today

Yea, stasis time is 4 hours different than mine and I want to get started soon. It looks like I can run the nuts up to shorten the stasis units to get them installed easier. What's needed to get the front struts out? Sometimes bentley gives too many steps that aren't required. I'll have a car lift and spring compressor. I'm heading over there in about 30 min. Setting the ride height evenly will be another challenge. This is the most excited I've ever been about something that's been called, "a waste of money"!
thanks for any install info,
dave
Old 09-23-2004, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Two sites for ya.....

Install isn't terribly difficult, but it will take time and patience.

This site will give you replacement hardware you'll need, as well as torque values for the nuts/bolts.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~rweidman/susphdwre2.htm

Best of luck!<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel28.shtml">Suspension tech article</a></li></ul>
Old 09-23-2004, 05:36 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Bring them over here, and I'll show you how to install them.

But bring an extra kit, because once I show you how to install them on my car...you're not getting them back!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I pulled most of my suspension in preperation yesterday ...

I'm still having big problems removing the lower links on the right-front (which are shot and have to be replaced) but I removed the rest of the suspension in preperation yesterday. My set should arrive from STaSIS by UPS today (I'm betting they shipped a batch all at the same time).

The back is obvious. The handbrake line can be unclipped and pushed out of the way sufficiently to get the bolt out. If you slip the strut down and in then you can get the top out. Very easy to scratch something!

On the front, I was able to remove the coil over without disconnecting the upper links or anything else. I used the two 13mm nut method described in the tech section. I only had to remove those two nuts and the lower bolt. It is possible to remove the lower bolt by twisting the link it is attached to using some sort of tool to get leverage and then knocking out the bolt. Turn the wheel slightly outward and you should be able to push down on the wheel while you move the lower part of the strut to the front. Do not completely unbolt one of the 13mm nuts until you do. Then when you remove that 13mm nut it will just fall out. Careful nothing gets scratched.

Where will you mount the resevoir and how will you route the line? How are the instructions? Any suggested starting point to set the ride height?

Good luck! Tell me how it goes. I'll be following you (just as soon as I can get the lower links removed on the right) :-/

Stephen
Old 09-23-2004, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm heading over there

I just read through the links from the other post. Thanks for the info. They sent some data sheets but no install instructions that I saw. I would call but I can't wait and it doesn't seem to tough. I'll take the camera over there. I'm also taking the dremel, in case I see a better reservoir mounting location and need it. I have some good/used upper front control arms that I'll install for the hell of it. I think I paid $75 on ebay but I believe they're for A4. I'll compare part numbers when I get it in the air. Oh, no info on prelim ride height setting yet. Also, one of the adjustment ***** was turned all the way out.
dave
Old 09-23-2004, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your upper control arms are ok then why change them?

But if you are going to change them then use the 3-bolt method of removing the struts and take the upper links out with the struts.

Stephen
Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just DO NOT remove that bolt holding the 2 upper ctrl arms on each side.

you can run into problems if you remove that one..
learn from this thread here..<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1764288.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1764288.phtml</a</li></ul>