S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

any of you guys come up next to a M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-1999, 03:19 PM
Bjorn

Default Not that it matters but

normal for an M3 coupe or sedan is 5.5.
normal for a M3 convertible is 5.6 to 5.7 (not enough tests to pick one or the other as a fact).

rest of your points were of course valid.
But the M3 they used was still defective. Since a loss of .5 in a naturally aspirated car is too much for just temp. conditions.
Old 11-01-1999, 03:26 PM
JK

Default Standing up for the better rocket

The above message is typical of most M3 owners.

They state the M3 is better for driving, is quicker, is more agile, is this, is that down to the stereo is better.
They also state the S4 is a better value, is better looking, is more a day to day car and it is "good enough" for the price.

ENOUGH YOU BMW SNOBS, ENOUGH.

The S4 is faster and every bit as agile. In fact, if I was in top gear in traffic and needed to power my way out of a situation, the S4 gives power faster.

The M3 was and still is an awesome but finally someone built something better (not much better, but still better) for about the same amount. Now, GET OVER IT and MOVE ON--- to the new M3 which will probably dust the S4 easily. So give us one year to gloat. Oh, I forgot, BMW owners can't even do that.

(the above is my reason why I bought the S4, BMW snobbery)
Old 11-01-1999, 03:59 PM
LCP

Default Read my post in racing forum about my first Auto-X EVER & the M3 that was in the lead for season pts

See link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/forum/m/racing/4749.phtml">http://www.a4.org/forum/m/racing/4749.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-1999, 04:14 PM
jk

Great Post!!!!!! The truth will set you free
Old 11-01-1999, 04:20 PM
Bjorn

Default Re: Standing up for the better rocket

You can think what you'd like. Free country and all.

But have you really driven both? I have. I like Audi's and think they're a better value. And in fact just bought an A4 Avant (w/pes).

I'd been told by another Audi fan that the difference between a typical BMW owner and a typical Audi, was that a typical Audi owner was less insecure about what they'd bought, and so generally this site (unlike bimmer.org) seldom degenerated into childish name calling. I see my friend was wrong. And that low self esteem is seemingly as prevalent here as else where. Pity.

Desite my opinions on the merits (which are widely held by non-audi owners), I still think the S4 is a better purchase and with the price of a fairly cheap chip it will also be quite a bit faster.
You want to gloat? Do it thusly: How much did you pay for that M3? Toss a chip in it and maybe some suspension tweaks and you won't have to worry about the e46 m3 (the next one), and likely for 10-15k less.
I never said the S4 was not capable. I don't personally know anyone who does. I in fact, said (now several times) that most people would prefer the S4. And it's certainly a much better bang for the buck. And with not much more buck, you get alot more bang. Why are you so bothered by my opinions? I'm not so worried about yours.
Old 11-01-1999, 04:23 PM
Bjorn

Default Auto-X

congrat's. You're one hell of a driver.
Old 11-01-1999, 04:41 PM
jk

Default Very secure and happy with my S4

I have no need to gloat. I purchased the best machine at this time. In the future, all I have to do is install a chip, an air filter, perhaps a better exhaust, and will still have the best machine then.

Yours was very elegant post, enough of the name calling.
Old 11-01-1999, 05:14 PM
HMMM

Default WAIT TIL YOUR S4 BROKE DOWN

S4 is a new car... How do you guys know if it's reliable or not?

Just SHUT UP and enjoy your car while you can...

S4 is just as fast as an M3..

c'mon guys... what's a 0.5 seconds difference in acceleration mean??

are you gonna race everytime in your daily driving??

please..... grow up!!!!

i think the whole point of all these discussion is just to put the other car down so that you can feel more secure... FOR WHAT???

GO GET A LIFE and just drive your car...

BOTH are nice cars... now if you wanna go and boast about your car... BUY THE NEW 911 TURBO!!
Old 11-01-1999, 07:44 PM
AvramD

You don't see name calling around here so much - this was unusual.
Old 11-01-1999, 08:15 PM
BMW Snob

Default Oh Please...S4 falls short as an M3 wannabe

It's funny how S4 owner can't realize that they are comparing a brand new model car (with the latest technological innovations that Audi can think of) with a car that has been around for half a decade. And even if you feel that the S4 is marginally better than an M3, Audi had the last 5 years to come out with a much better competitor to the M3. IMHO they fell short of that goal. Both cars are close as far as performance goes. It was the value and standard feature that S4 came with that edge it out over the M3 in the latest Car and Driver comparison. The M3 that was test in that comparison was the slowest M3 ever tested. In 95, the M3 was clocked at 5.3 sec from 0-60mph.
I also read that someone on this thread ran a 5.3 with their S4 -- oh please! The 5.5 sec time that Car and Driver got required that the driver drop the clutch. And as we all know, that's a big no-no for the Quattro system. Good luck getting those mid-5 second times.
There is a reason for BMW snobbery - BMWs are the Ultimate Driving Machine. As for Audis, snobbery can't come from Mediocre Driving Machines.

Quick Reply: any of you guys come up next to a M3