S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

any of you guys come up next to a M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-1999, 08:19 PM
BMW

Default Re: Car and Driver online or September issue

That's because the new M3 will be worth the price premium. The high price is to give S4 owners who really, truly would rather have an M3 a justified reason to keep their cars.
Old 11-02-1999, 03:51 AM
BMW marketing department (nt)

Default "Ultimate Driving Machine" as determined by the

nt
Old 11-02-1999, 04:36 AM
Jon

Default Re: Standing up for the better rocket

You could ask the guys at our BMW store which car is better. Our S4 was LAPPING their M3 every 5 laps at Phoenix International Raceway two weeks ago. Both cars were equipped with Yoko A032R's. Perhaps the tight infield benefits the Quattro, but it WAS NOT CLOSE. In a street race it would be a coin-toss. On the track, it is not.
Old 11-02-1999, 06:56 AM
Vijay

Default Re: Oh Please...S4 falls short as an M3 wannabe

Equal performers in dry weather. Nicer interior, by far, in S4. When the weather turns even the slightest bit foul, even a hint of rain on the road, S4 will eat M3 for lunch and spit out what's left. That, my friend, is a fact. And by the way, current S4 was released in 1998-just not available in U.S.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:08 AM
TurboX2

Default Talk about insecurities!!!!

I'm very sure that everyone S4 owner here would rather have their S4 then an M3. I know I would, if I had really wanted an M3, I would have bought one last year or waited for the next one. And what is an M3 owner who doesn't own an S4 lurking in the S4 forum anyway? Secert desires? Do you really want a similarly powered car, with the stability of 4WD, much more comfortable ride, and all the luxury amenities standard? This is why I want an S4, power, luxury and safety, all rolled into one. If I had wanted a race car on the streets, I would have bought a Porsche GT3.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:09 AM
Another Drew

Default That's what a Porsche saleswoman said to me but I didn't believe her until now

She said the S4 was actually LAPPING M3's (S4's and M3's both driven by professionals) at Phoenix. I didn't believe her. Being a sexist bigot, I thought she had mistaken 328's as M3's.
Somehow it still seems hard to believe. ACTUALLY LAPPING? That infield must have been TIGHT.

Thanks for the info.
Drew
Old 11-02-1999, 07:38 AM
BMW Snob

Default Re: Oh Please...S4 falls short as an M3 wannabe

Are you even going to try and compare the 1998 Euro S4 with the 321 hp Euro M3? The Euro M3 will destroy the Euro S4. More power, less weight.
And the 2 US models are not equal performers in dry weather. The M3 will out-handle the S4 (with its heavy understeer). And launching the S4 from a standstill is a pain (can't drop the clutch). Turbo lag will alway be there.
A extreme speeds, it idiotic to drive any car in the wet...even Quattro.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:43 AM
BMW

Default Re: Talk about insecurities!!!!

The reason you have an S4 and not the Porsche GT3 is because you can't afford one.
I'm on the board here because I had considered getting the S4 before coming to my senses. My friend has one I he let me drive it a couple of times. Pretty fast, but absolutely no personality. I'm into sportiness, not pseudo-sportiness.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:54 AM
DC

Default Re: Talk about insecurities!!!!

That might be the silliest comment I've read in quite a while....

There are many reasons to buy an S4 instead of a 911.

I have a 1996 911 and am considering trading it in on an S4. I need additional seating capacity for my kids and clients, I need the AWD for winter, I need a vehicle that isn't too ostentatious to drive clients around in and I still want a fast car. The M3 is not being offered is a 4 door version now and it does not offer AWD. I owned an M Roadster up until April and liked it so I know what I am talking about.

If I was immature and wanted to race on the street than I would buy a different car. For the best all-around driving experience, it looks like the S4 comes out on top. It has a better interior and more comfortable ride while still offering the performance that I am used to. The build quality is excellent so how can you go wrong?
Old 11-02-1999, 10:17 AM
LCP

Default S4 LAPPING M3's!!!???

After my AutoX run in my S4, I know that the S4 may indeed be faster around the track, but DAMN! There's gotta be something wrong with that. How many laps until they were being lapped? It's gotta be a lot.

Quick Reply: any of you guys come up next to a M3