S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anybody have the Motive brake bleeder? Need instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have the Motive brake bleeder? Need instructions.

I've never bled brakes before, is there a tech article out there?
Old 12-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Banned

Default not with the motive....but you can just substitute the foot pumping by it ;)

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1028221.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1028221.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Elder Member

Default Its pretty easy... put fluid in bleeder, pump it up to 20psi or whatever, and open the screws...

Wait until the old fluid is out, and close them.

If you want to do it the right way, use a VAG tool to cycle the ABS controller, and push the clutch in to cycle the fluid in there too.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:56 PM

Okay, explain it to me like I'm a baby.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:28 AM
Elder Member

Default Sorry...

I haven't done it with stock brakes, but its basically the same...

You put two liters of brake fluid in the Motive bleeder (some people do it without putting the fluid in it, but I've never tried that -- I guess they keep topping off the resevoir... sounds time consuming!)

You seal the bleeder to the brake fluid resevoir in place of the resevoir's cap. You then pump it up to whatever the proscribed pressure is (I thought it was 20psi, but it might be 10 -- read the manual).

Once you've done that, the fluid will be pushed by the pressure into the resevoir, as the fluid in the resevoir drops, automagically.

Now you just start bleeding the fluid. Rule number one -- don't get ANY on your paint. It'll eat the paint right off the car.

If I remember right, I think you bleed the right rear, then the left front, then the left rear, and then the right front. You basically attach the little hose to the brake bleeder valve on the caliper (Stoptech calipers have two, no idea about the stock front ones, but I'd bet they only have one). Turn the valve, and give it some time to bleed. If your fluid is old, you ought to be able to see when the old fluid is flushed out. If you are bleeding air out, just watch for the bubbles to stop. When you are done, close the valve, and remove the little hose. Again, try not to get it on the paint. Trying not to get it on your hands is probably a good idea too. As a tip, though, get a longer hose than the little one that comes with the motive kit -- its not long enough with the car jacked up to leave a catch bottle on the ground, and that makes it a lot easier.

After each caliper, pump back up the bleeder to the right pressure then move onto the next one. When you are done, that is generally "good enough". If you are doing a full flush, you probably ought to dig up the codes for the ABS controller and bleed that. You basically open one bleed valve on the front left caliper, and then run that cycle, and it moves the new fluid through the ABS pump. Giving the clutch a push can't hurt either.

Voila! Thats it... Its not a bad time to change pads, too, since your wheels are already off. I'd suggest jacking the whole car up and having it on stands. Stopping to remove more wheels in the middle kind of sucks.