S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone have suggestions for a good car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have suggestions for a good car cover?

One that is preferably multi-layer, so it protects well but is still soft on the paint.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Elder Member

Default Well, right now the alternative is to be out in the open...

and I live 300 feet from the ocean, so the car is always dirty and salty, and there's a persistant problem with birds nesting over the car that my landlord just doesn't seem to be able to solve.

Add to that the horrid quality of the factory paint job, and the car looks like its 15 years old, not 15 months old...
Old 05-21-2002, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really like the Cover Craft Technolon covers. They sell some others that supposedly are better

against UV, etc., but when I had one of those, the interior "fleece lining" deteriorated into a powder, and the cover was replaced three times before they swapped it for a Evolution IV Technolon cover. It's a little bulky, but it will completely protect your paint from the elements, it's fairly thick so it will provide reasonable protection against dings and dents, and is easily cleaned by putting it in a commercial washing machine.

Oh, and make sure you get a custom cover, not a fitted one. The difference is the pockets for the mirrors. If you don't have this, then the cover will be straight sided without the pockets, and will bulge away from the car where the side mirrors are. This allows wind and dust to get under the cover (making the car dirty) and then when the cover blows around, it will grind the dirt into the finish. It's not that much more for the custom, just means waiting an additional week or two.

Hope this helps.<ul><li><a href="http://www.covercraft.com/technalon®.htm">Car Coverr</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2002, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've actually used covers for alot of cars; you just have to make sure you don't put it onto a dirty

car. If it's dusty, car dust it before putting the cover on. If it's dirty, don't use the cover until the car is washed and clean.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you think that your car will stay clean while your at work, you could cover it when you get home

at night (after car dusting it to get all the loose stuff off) and then take the cover off in the morning before leaving. Again, just make sure you don't cover the car when it's dirty; that will damage your paint more than being exposed to the elements.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've used it outside on windy days. They make covers for that. The sides and bottom of most good

covers have elastic that keep the cover tight to the body of the car so nothing can get underneath. I wouldn't use any other type of cover outdoors. You just need to make certain you order the right type of cover for the application you intend to use it for.