S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone remove the Euro-plate "plate" on the front of the S4? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 05:05 AM
CraigL

Default Anyone remove the Euro-plate "plate" on the front of the S4? (more)

I've got a 21" Euro plate that I'd like to mount on my car. Has anyone else removed the plate in front? Are there holes behind it?

Right now there aren't any holes drilled in the front bumper, since Michigan doesn't require a front license plate.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Craig
Old 11-18-1999, 08:03 AM
MikeP

Default What does your plate say?

I'm in OH which does require a front plate. I'm wondering if I get a euro plate to match my legal vanity plate will I get away with it?? ;-)

-MikeP
'00 S4 Tip
Old 11-18-1999, 09:00 AM
CraigL

It says IN S4 2112 ..I'll post pictures once I figure out how to mount it
Old 11-18-1999, 10:25 AM
Chicago Joe

How amusing -- my Dodge has 'MMCXII' plates (will be on my S4)
Old 11-18-1999, 10:54 AM
CraigL

Default Haha, fantastic. I'd imagine you're a fan of those crazy Canadians, too?

'2112' is already taken as a vanity plate here in Michigan. Along with 'YYZ', 'GEDLEE', 'FORCE10', 'BRAVADO', and probably a host of others.

'SYRINX' would make a sweet plate though.. hmm!!

-Craig
'00 S4
Old 11-18-1999, 10:58 AM
steve l o

Default YES!!!

There are 5 tabs on the bottom adge of the removable piece. If you put a flat blade screw driver into the slot where the tab is, pull down on the removable plate as you have the screw drive in the slot. You have to do this for each tab. I started on one and and worked my way over. It was a pretty tight fit. After you have all the tabs released, you then bend the removable piece inward a bit to release the two clips on the sides.
You should be good to go then.
Let me know if you need any more help.

Steve L O
Old 11-18-1999, 11:01 AM
CraigL

Are there holes under the plate? Or will I have to drill?
Old 11-18-1999, 11:31 AM
Too old to be here

I don't get it! He say's sheepishly...
Old 11-18-1999, 11:42 AM
steve l o

Default There are holes under the plate, but....

The holes are in the configuration for the normal US plate mounting bracket. You probably won't like the way the hole that is left after you take insert off is going to look. I would just attach the Euro plate to the insert piece and leave it at that. The insert piece has a part number on it. Just buy another one and replace it when you sell the car. I'm "customizing" my normal US plate to fit on the insert. I don't like the way the US plate bracket breaks up the lines on the front of the car.

Steve L O
Old 11-18-1999, 12:07 PM
Chicago Joe

But of course -- anxiously awaiting the next album/tour

Quick Reply: Anyone remove the Euro-plate "plate" on the front of the S4? (more)