S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone run a custom cell phone antenna yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 07:54 AM
AvramD

Default Anyone run a custom cell phone antenna yet?

I did the stuff in the Nokia FAQ, and the electronic side of it worked great. But....

I went to the installer to have the antenna put in, and he couldn't for the life of him figure out how to mount a rear or front window antenna, and then get the wire anywhere useful.

Has anyone else solved this problem? How did you do it? Can you post procedures? Can you post pics?
Old 11-19-1999, 09:09 AM
JimZ

Default Had the Audi/Motorola phone in my '96 A4

The cell-phone antenna on my '96 A4 (factory phone) was on the top-center of the rear window. It was glued to the outside of the window and had a corresponding piece on the inside of the window (no holes were drilled). The wire went under the headliner and ran to the C-pillar then down and came up below the armrest. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-1999, 09:10 AM
fAdI

Default did you try..

http://www.mindspring.com/~edward.palisoc/a4-nokia.ht
Old 11-19-1999, 09:24 AM
Philly M3

Check Peter H's post about 20 below ('bout 20 posts)
Old 11-19-1999, 09:30 AM
Matt S

Default Same Boat

I'm in the same boat, mine is in, I have everything in the armrest. I haven't had time to run the antenna yet (Reception is pretty much unusable without). The problem with doing this in an S4 vs. an A4 is the Air Bags in the C Pillar. What I was thinking of doing is just tucking it behind as much as possible and somehow securing it. Would like to hear from anyone who has done it in an S4. Other than the airbags being in the way the install is exactly as in the FAQ for Nokias.
Old 11-19-1999, 10:19 AM
AvramD

Default Thanks, but due to the SIDEGUARD airbags, it's apparently nearly impossible

to take down the headliner. Something about the construction process - it is very different from the <=99 A4s.
Old 11-19-1999, 10:40 AM
JimZ

How does Audi install the factory phone/antenna now?
Old 11-19-1999, 10:53 AM
AvramD

Default Yes - that's the same as the A4.org FAQ. It's not a 2000.

Ed's comments about everything being designed to be easily assembled does not appear to apply to the 2000 A4/S4 changes.

My dealer's service shop said you have to take a part a ton of the car, including removing <b> the rear window</b> if I'm not mistaken - don't quote me on that - this was my car phone installer talking to my dealer's shop foreman, and this is what I was able to get out of it, but they were talking really fast.
Old 11-19-1999, 10:56 AM
AvramD

Default Are you saying you got the headliner down? Also, on your antenna

I think you'll find that there's no reasonable way to get the wire under the headliner to get it <b>to</b> the C-pillar. If you know differently, please tell me.

You can just screw a dumb little $5 6" whip antenna into that thing, and your car kit will become useable. Mine antenna is just laying on the dashboard, which is unsightly, but functional. You could also just drop it under the seat - you'll probably lose some reception, but you'll get way more than when using the car kit with no antenna connected at all.
Old 11-19-1999, 10:57 AM
AvramD

Default Also, do people find that the your voice is much softer

through the car kit than through the regular phone? That's what they tell me. I've tested it w/ a friend in my car & me at home, and I'd say his voice was about 1/2 the volume through the car kit as through the handset.

And yes, I did replace the factory mic with the nokia mic.

Quick Reply: Anyone run a custom cell phone antenna yet?