S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

APR Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 08:25 AM
RM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Downpipes

I was having clearance problems with the drivers side APR downpipes as I reported before.
After many adjustments to the exhaust system it seems I have created enough clearance to keep the cat and pipe from vibrating against the side of the tranny tunnel and creating a godawful noise.

I believe the problem is partly APRs and partly the LLTec cat-back exhaust I am using. They are both too close to the drivers side. If either were more centered there would be no problem.

The car now is almost as quiet as stock(using the cats from APR). It is actually quieter now than it was using the LLtec exhaust with the factory cats. Also I can feel little difference between the power with the cats and the power with the cat-bypass pipes(also provided in the APR kit). The car literally flies. I think I'm getting like 12 miles to the gallon. Its very hard staying off boost, it is very addictive. It is way stronger than it was using the MTM chip/only that I had before the APR setup. Of course it should be.
The power delivery is much smoother across the entire power band with no detectable letup before 6000 of so RPM.

In case you can't tell, I REALLY love this car.
Old 10-19-2000, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So RM, you're now running APR thru the cats, then LLTec exhaust? (more)...

I'm a bit confused... you are chipped now? with whose chip, APR's or MTM's? And you say the audible level within the cabin is less than stock?
I ask because I'm trying to find an exhaust to go on mine that maintains moderate decibel levels, gets good power increases, and works with the APR downpipes and cats. The APR exhaust sounds too loud for my tastes. I just wanted to clarify your setup cause it sounds like we may have a winner, although the MTM exhaust and Scorpion as well are supposed to be relatively quiet. Thoughts/responses? Thanks, Patrick
Old 10-19-2000, 10:27 AM

Please mention all of your mods, and how much were they all?
Old 10-19-2000, 01:02 PM
RM

Default Re: So RM, you're now running APR thru the cats, then LLTec exhaust? (more)...

It is very quiet, not as quiet as stock, but close. I said it is quieter than running the stock cats with the LLTec cat back system. I'm now running the APR downpipes with the APR cats and the LLTec cat back. I wouldn't recommend this system because of the clearance problems I had. It was a major pain to keep the pipes from rubbing the side of the transmission tunnel. The problem could have been solved by APR or LLTec. If APR had moved the driver side downpipe about 1/2" closer to the centerline there would have been no problem. The same could be said for the LLTec cat back, it is also too much toward the drivers side where it connects to the Y-pipe.

I am chipped with APR and noone would complain about it being loud. APR told me that they would be coming out with a quiet cat-back system soon which may be the best solution.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:07 PM
RM

Default Re: Please mention all of your mods, and how much were they all?

APR chip and downpipes with LLtec exhaust. APR chip & pipes(includes cat-bypass pipes and the high flow cats so that you can use either), were around $1800. I also have a spare ECU which was another $500. Originally I was running the MTM chip which I sold when I went to the APR system. The LLtec cat-back pipes were $800.
Old 10-19-2000, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default RM Thanks for the clarification....

Good to know about the clearance problem. I'll probably be chipped with APR too and that helps. It's good to hear that APR is taking suggestions into consideration and seriously considering developing the quiet cat back. I spoke with them about that very subject about a month ago. Thumbs up, Steve and Chris if you see this. But I guess thy still need to think about tweeking the driver's side pipe. Thanks again for the 411, RM. Patrick