S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi driving experience (2009 A4 review)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi driving experience (2009 A4 review)

<i>Let me premise this review to state that I haven't been terribly impressed with Audi's offerings since the retirement of the B5. I have been waiting for something to wow me...and I think I finally found it. Since the departure of the B5, Audi has gone through an award ugly phase with minimal performance improvements. I think Audi has finally impressed me wiht their car for the masses
(I love the RS4, R8, and S5...but those make up a small percentage of sales.</i>

I arrive at NHIS at 10:40 and register. They gather us into a classroom and start to explain why the new 2009 A4 is such a different animal due to:

* Better Balance
* new dynamic steering assist
* new dynamic suspension system

Not only is the suspension controllable, but the steering, and throttle response is also configurable. There is a 'comfort', 'dynamic', and auto mode for these variables.

After the classroom, they broke the groups up in two: One goes to the Track to test drive the new A4 on the road course, while the other group got to play test driver with:
* 2009 A4 3.2 sedan
* Mercedes C320 (AWD version)
* BMW 328xi (AWD version)
* Lexus IS250 (AWD version)

All models were base models and no sport options. They were trying to state that these are supposed to be equally comparable cars for the market. While the A4 had a bit more HP compared to the rest, that wasn't the point. (more on that later).

First up, the track time. I love eating someone elses brakes and tires =)

There was little prep, but basically they said we'd be following the instructor around the course. I was thinking this would suck driving like my grandma around NHIS. They lined up one TT 3.2 and four 2009 A4 3.2 sedans. I got in car #1 behind the instructor in the TT. Each person got paired up with a co driver. There were no instructors in the cars. Each car had a two-way radio that allowed the instructor to tell the drivers what to do (correct them). We were instructed to not touch the walkie-talkie unless it was an emergency.

Some random guy hopped in with me after we got our helmets and we were off. At first it was a casual run around the course to familiarize the drivers with the course. The rule was to keep a tight formation. The tighter the formation, the faster we went. We started in 'comfort' mode, and after a couple laps, we switched to 'dynamic' mode. The switch really demonstrated how much the new active suspension helped control body roll. Very impressive. By the end of my turn, I was pleasantly surprised that we were using WOT through the turns in many places (compression/bowl areas) and allowing the Quattro (and electronics) to help control the car.

I couldn't believe that they'd let untrained people in the cars without direct instruction, but I guess they figured with the amount of electronic protection, it'd be hard for many folks to get in trouble (since ESP was required to be ON). The surprising part of the ride was that I NEVER noticed the ESP or electronic aids at all. While I am sorta an experienced driver, I also didn't notice it when my partner had his turn. (although I did end up instructing while in the right seat - maybe I am cut out for instructing)

After that awesome experience on the track, everyone was psyched. Next, they had a bus drive us to an empty parking lot where we got to play with the competition and new A4 on a little course setup. It was similar to an autoX with chicanes, turn-arounds, sweeper and a slalom.

My intention was to flog the crap out of these cars...and I did. I jumped right into the BMW 328xi. When I bought my S4, that was the car I was considering for purchase, but settled on the S4 because of greater performance, better pricing and no nichol and diming for options....I digress.

When I got into the 328xi, I was alone. The exercise was setup with 4 of each, with all same brands lined up behind eachother. There was the Audi row, BMW row, Lexus row, and the MB row.

Since I was alone, apparently I got double sessions (evil grin). I took every session the same way. 1 run with ESP on, one with ESP off in all cars. Here's my view:

1) Hands down, this is the BEST A4 ever in balance, feel, lightness, and sportiness...and this wasn't a "sport" model
2) Most people said BMW was 2nd, but I felt the Lexus was more nimble as the lightest car there...but I didn't appreciate the beeps and chirps from the ESP as I slid the car sideways (with ESP off)
3) BMW 328xi was a pig. It's almost like the AWD was an afterthought. I was disappointed since BMW was supposedly raved for their release of their AWD offering back in 2001ish. There was a SCCA Racer in our group and he felt the same way (Lexus IS250 &gt; BMW 328xi)
4) Hands down, the Mercedes felt like a PIG. Not only that, it felt cheap. I guess Chrysler had some serious influence for their entry C class.

After the parking lot flogging, we got to take a "cruise" around the track with 1 or 2 of the Audi models made available (all 2008 model except for A4)

A8L
Q7
A4
A3
A6

Great day...I wish I brought someone with me.

And yes, when the TDI A4 comes over, I WILL PURCHASE ONE. A4 Avant TDI FTMFW!

That'll be my wife's next car. While the electronic aids aren't for the purists, they are great for daily driving, comfort, and the average driver who doesn't know what understeer/oversteer is.

/review
Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The september Car and Driver mentions the A4 3.2 is underpowered compared to the 335 and C350...

I guess that's because their intended competition is the 328, C300, etc. despite the price difference. That's very interesting, nice review.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The A5 2.0 sounds pretty good too. Combined 43mpg w/ 0-60 of 6.9. So

economical but no slouch either.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have test driven the A5 and S5. I certainly agree It's a very nice platform.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Of course, if you comcare a twin turbo anything against an NA motor, the NA motor would feel week.

Lame comparo on C&amp;Ds part. Too bad they didn't compare AWD vs AWD. Unfortunately for BMW, Lexus, and MB, their AWD systems are certainly an afterthought for BMW and Benz.
I guess if you are hell bent on RWD, then stick with BMW, but personally I dont think there's much that can be done for MB. It drove like a 1970s caddy!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I forgot to mention one thing I loved about the Lexus - Butt Airconditioning. Very nice on a hot day
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went yesterday @ 3. I wasn't impressed with the A4 on the autox, but I thought it really shined

on the track in dymanic mode.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 AM

A bunch of us are signed up for 8/9 at Summit Point. looking forward to it. thanks for the review.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh and here's a little comparo to the last Audi event I did in 2003 - the Quattro Challenge

This was a much better event that made me want to buy the new A4.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1436569.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1436569.phtml</a</li></ul>