S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi is listening...describe your realistic ideas about the new S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi is listening...describe your realistic ideas about the new S4

Looks, engine, transmission, cost, interior, wheels tires, suspension, stereo, etc....
Old 10-24-2001, 05:54 AM

Default I think it should look more agressive...achat grey, and black alcantara,

plus a better navigation system display. i think 350HP is reasonable and competitive with other car.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:04 AM
adp

Default Ok..

Fast hatch / wagon or sedan

match the M3's performance at a minimum

make it less cheap and creaky

memory seats, proper secondary ergonomics

18" wheels

6 Spd - give the car enough power to allow 6th to be more of a cruising overdrive, and give 2nd a bit more range.

Quattro (of course)

Cost.. No more than $50k loaded or you'll lose the market.. Being able to buy a stripped version for under $40k would get a lot more people to buy.

I think the S4 Avant did not sell as expected, because most folks in the US who want a small wagon sould not afford it new.. I would expect that car to have better resale than the sedan in the used market in 2-3 yrs. Knowing that, Audi needs to provide a perf. car to that segment and $$ range. The sedan - well if you want a nice $40k car you can buy a 525 for nearly the same $$ so they need to upmarket the trim, ride, etc to be competitive, a Hatch? well the Scooby 5 door wrx is filling the low end gap.. but nothing other than the M Coupe from BMW can be considered a 'hot' hatch.. so there is a pretty wide open market out there for people moving up from Golf GTi's.

Overall if we weren't enthusiasts, we all probably would not have bought an S4.. so Audi needs to play to this crowd.. or create a new market with a hot hatch, or higher end sedan for people who want a hot A6 alternative.

I go hot and cold on my S4.. some days I miss my Saab for overall highway comfort and an unknown in the S4 world - FUEL ECONOMY.. other days I smile and think to myself, wow this car sure is buttoned down, that corner felt great, the steering feels great.. I love Quattro in the rain.. Then I go back to - why does my near new car creak and flex so much? did they take the suspension straight out of a jetta or what? Why is 2nd gear so short? Why is power either on or off ? Etc..

Overall I am very happy with the S4. But as I say to my friends it feels like a high end VW.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Any body styling that hides the "new" back end would be good. __;)

4 issues come to mind;

IMO, an engine that pulls ~340hp or better would be nice. I've heard many on here who want to keep the turbo's and that's fine with me.

Cost: MSRP of < $50g please with most options.

18in wheels(min), and much improved(over current stock) suspension.

One other complaint that I have is that Audi should make swapping stereo's easier. (Because no matter what the stock unit is, many are going to change it anyway.) It would be nice if their head units fit a rectangle(instead of how the unit is broken up into sections) so any new unit could slip right in. Some may call this picky, but like I said, it would be nice.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default memory seats, nice nav screen (like sat nav plus), master lock/unlock control for front passenger,

at least 300HP, support for digital cell phones
Old 10-24-2001, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Memory seats/mirrors,recaro seats,chip with warranty...

(sorry you only wanted realistic ideas)less body roll,better stock rubber.......
Old 10-24-2001, 06:12 AM
Elder Member

Default Widebody RS4 look with new body style and ---

M3 stomping performance, but with all weather ability.

Slightly lighter flywheel or something so that the revs drop faster for a more 'sporting' feel to the shifter and give the Auto's the Tip from the porche 911.

Spend a little time making the steering better... unfortunately take a lesson from the M3s on this one.

Give us back our button to lock differentials and get rid of that dumb *** pop out cupholder and put two full sized ones next to or behind the emergency brake.

Less body roll, and neutral handling instead of the safer understeer... or better yet have a dial instead of a button for a differential lock so that people can manually transfer power from front to back as desired when not in full quatro mode.

18" wheels in a less blocky style than the avus we're all used to... maybe something more like the RS4 or take a cue from Ottenger.

Interior... I love my interior except silver nappa is too easy to stain. I'd love black alcantra with aluminum or carbon fiber trim more though. The car needs climate control vents for rear passengers and the all season floor mats should be STANDARD.

This is the most exciting car out there delivering more than all around usability than anything on the road... give it speed, and agressive style and the ability to drive in the snow and I'll just keep coming back every four years and lease a new one.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:18 AM

Default My list

memory seats
large in dash nav screen
heated steering wheel
heated rear seats
aggressive styling (painted lowers!!!!!)
18 inch wheels
350HP and loads of low end torque
black alcantara
if turboed, a boost gauge
immobilizer or some other anti theft system
much better suspension than the current S4
agressive sounding exhaust note
exclusive "S Only" colors (like imola and nogaro)
6-speed tip or CVT transmission
side mirror angles down in reverse like A6
keyless entry system that works from more than 5 feet away from car
Old 10-24-2001, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Keep the turbos, but make the powertrain reliable...

Make the car a bit more aggressive than current S4 and new A4. Nav Plus and memory seats at a minimum. It's gotta have enough power to compete with it's percieved rivals (M3, C32). Get rid of some of the understeer.

-KJ
Old 10-24-2001, 06:21 AM
YS4
AudiWorld Super User

Default rear trunk that pops open, likewise with the fuel door

satellite radio, at least 350 hp, and proper cupholders...

Quick Reply: Audi is listening...describe your realistic ideas about the new S4