S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Autobahn Cruiser: First road trip in the S4 (with our 1 month old baby no less)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:24 AM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autobahn Cruiser: First road trip in the S4 (with our 1 month old baby no less)...

Boy, all I can say is that this car was built for long distance, "high speed" cruising. Wife and I took our first road trip in the S4 and our first road trip with our 1 month old son this weekend, and all I can say is that this car was built for travelling.

Took the Valentine 1 Expressway (I-90) from Seattle to my sister's college graduation at Gonzaga in Spokane (What a hole! I've never liked Spokane much, to say the least, but I digress...). The car was just a joy for the trip, and the Valentine was quiet pretty much the whole way, so we made pretty good if not record making time, especially on the return trip where we decided to just let our son sleep through rather than stopping for a diaper change and feeding along the way. Averaged just under 75 mph (damn traffic and left lane bandits) and got 25.1 mpg according to the trip computer, which is usually about 1 mpg higher than actual. Not bad considering the elevation changes the trip entails (Snoqualmie Pass, etc.) and my frequent lead foot. The speed limit is 70 mph for most of the way, so I just set the cruise control at 80 mph and off we went, with the occasional higher speed run to avoid getting hung up in slower moving traffic, and far too many agonizing minutes spent plodding along behind the much too common and totally clueless left lane bandits. (SLOWER MOVING TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!)

So what's the point? Well nothing except to say that this car is a joy to travel with, so smooth, comfortable, and effortless at speed.

Minor complaints, the nav system's coverage of the Spokane area is spotty and seriously lacking at best, all the more reason not to go there too much I guess. Oh, and of course the front is just covered with bug splatter, oh well, time for a bath I suppose.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:38 AM

Default how are you finding the space in the rear for the baby?

I am expecting in December and I have to buy my wife a new car. Seriously considering an S4, but didn't know if the rear seat will be accomodating for the car seat and stuff.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Plenty of space for two car seats in the backseat but

the real problem is the shoeprints from my 2 year old on the back of the front seat. I have started taking off her shoes before putting her in the seat (PITA). Maybe I will get her delegged.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A rear facing in the middle and a forward facing on the passenger side..

I don't know the brand/make on our rear facing seat but it is configured like the one you described. I can't put anything behind me because my seat is all the way back but the rear facing fits it the middle even when my seat is all the way back. Granted, I've only done this twice because I've only had nine days to experiment with this new kid.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just toss the kids into sacks and keep um in the trunk - less noise, less mess, and better rear vis.