S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

AWE boost gauge - what did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWE boost gauge - what did I do wrong?

Okay I just finished installing my AWE boost gauge. I'm a GIAC stage 3-: K04s, GIAC software, 5 bar FPR, piggie pipes & AWE Twin-1.

Obvious tip: start this well before sundown, I did it in darkness and it wasn't fun.

The installation seemed to have gone perfectly until I did a 30 second test drive down the street. At idle it sits at roughly 20 vaccuum (normal I understand). But it increases much slower than I expect. In 1st gear at ~5000 RPM it passes the zero mark! Shouldn't it be at full boost there?

The gauge lights up with key contact, the needle moves around (albeit not enough), and the car seems to behave as usual. So I'm assuming the install was mostly right. I re-checked the boost gauge hose and T-junction and they seem fine.

What's going on here? Should I not drive the car until this is fixed, or can I take her to work tomorrow and see what gives?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Default you shouldnt be hitting too much boost at 5000 rpm in first

try 2nd or 3rd up a hill, then youll see boost.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sounds like the hose is kinked or crimped

Did you cable-tie it to anything? also could be a defective guage.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you get on it when you were at 5000 RPM? or you just coasted it upto 5K, in that case..

what you're saying could be fine, you shouldn't be seeing boost based on engine RPM, boost comes on based on how much you stomp on the pedal/put load on.(Right?)

Do a 3rd gear pull and see if the gauge shows any boost, if not something is up.

Or could be that your boost gauge line could be bent somewhere or that the gauge is defective.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try it out in 3rd or 4th gear. Those gears load up the engine more, and the N75 valve opens the

waste gate completely, allowing full boost. Tell us what you come up with.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nothing!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd.

At any rpm you will not show any boost unless you are requesting boost. If anything, crusing will at any RPM will show vaccum.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks everyone...

To answer previous questions:

1) I didn't get on it at 5000 RPM. I brought it up to 5000 RPM briskly, but that's all.

2) What is "cable-tied"? Is that the same as "zip-tied"? I routed the wires/hose as cleanly as I could under the dash, but didn't use any ties beyond the ones that came with the gauge. I had a bunch of ties sitting ready, but I didn't need them. The wires are pretty taught from the electical connections to the vent hole. And the hose doesn't have that much extra slack.

Sounds like I might not have been pushing the car enough. I'll give her a spin tomorrow as it seems safe. If I still have a problem, I'll re-check the hose and see if it may have gotten crimped. It seems unlikely, but it could happen when you put the air vents back as you can't see the hose at that time (AWE instructions say to pull the hose under the dash as you're inserting the air vents, which I did, but perhaps I didn't pull enough).

I'll post an update tomorrow sometime.

Thanks again everyone. You can't beat AudiWorld for after-hours tech support
Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default contrary to popular belief about turbos, they aren't in boost at 5k rpm if you pansy around to

get there. if you slowly wind the car up to that rpm, it doesn't *have* to make boost. you will learn a lot about your car with a boost gauge.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Everything is okay I guess.

I drove the car to work today, damn bay area traffic prevented me from doing any safe extensive testing (I'm a safe driver, no street racing here).

But I got a chance to go WOT on the freeway in an empty area. I got the needle to a bit beyond 15 psi. And I think that's normal. IIRC the GIAC stage 3- software has max boost of 18 psi.

Still, I'm absolutely amazed at how much it takes before the turbos are needed. I used to drive a Saab and the turbo gauge was much more "connected" to the throttle.

Again, thanks to everyone, you have all been most helpful.

Quick Reply: AWE boost gauge - what did I do wrong?