S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Back to the HP-2 4 Piston cailper issue Vs. the 2 piston calipers we got on US spec cars(much, more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 11:41 AM
Silver S4

Default Back to the HP-2 4 Piston cailper issue Vs. the 2 piston calipers we got on US spec cars(much, more)

Have the rest of you new owners realized that Audi has mis-printed the standard equipment on the US bound Audi's. The sticker says HP-2 4 Piston calipers but they are not. Road and Track just posted 4 piston as standard equipment but I can't tell if they have the european version or not. I have emialed them to find and to also see what they can do to get Audi to own up to the error and false advertising. We have 2 piston calipers on our cars

What if they left out a turbo and didn't change the sticker. oh sorry we reserve the right to chagne the car around at any time. This is crap.

Someone was trying to get together a letter with signatures to get Audi to replace the 2 piston with 4 piston. Any takers.

I am going to AoA to get this fixed.
Old 11-03-1999, 12:03 PM
Tristan

Default Well, I agree, but there is more to the story....

Last week or so I was informed that AoA owned up to the mistake, but put a positive spin on it by saying that the 2-piston version here was actually aluminum and therefore lighter than the cast 4piston ones on the invoice. Also, I believe that the Euro spec car also has 2 pistons. Therefore, I am not sure where I stand on the issue. I am pretty sure that the car stops about the same as my 98 1.8TS, even though the rotors and calipers are MUCH larger on the S4.
Hmmmm, don't know what to do. M3s have one piston calipers, and they stop better than all of us (all of us STOCK guys anyway).
Tristan '00 S4
Old 11-03-1999, 12:18 PM
LCP

Default Here's a link to Audi's statement

The server was not available when I posted, but I believe it states that there is more brake horsepower available with the new brakes than the old 4-piston design. A Euro S4 owner verified that he only had 2 pistons a few weeks back as well.<ul><li><a href="http://www.s-cars.org/Features/Braking_s4tt/braking_s4tt.htm">http://www.s-cars.org/Features/Braking_s4tt/braking_s4tt.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-03-1999, 12:19 PM
Jon

Default The problem is their press materials say 4-piston calipers ...

not, 2-piston. The R&T guy just drove the car, but used the press materials for the story. He went by what Audi told him at the Monterey press intro (that Matt attended; so did I, for QCUSA). THAT is the source of mis-information, Audi's PR materials.

Jon
'96 A4qs
Old 11-03-1999, 12:22 PM
Silver S4

They should own up to a huge mis-print like that? What if that were the reason you bought the car?
Old 11-03-1999, 12:28 PM
Scott W

This is exactly why the print "specifications may change...WITHOUT notice"...good luck!
Old 11-03-1999, 12:28 PM
Nate Sammons

Default Chill out...

The 4 piston calipers were an older design than the 2 pston ones used now. The 2 piston calipers that are used on the S4:

1) Are made of aluminum and save on weight (about 5 lbs)
2) Actually have more stopping power than the 4 piston ones they replace.

So this is not a bad thing. Why complain that they put *better* brakes on your car than they said they would. Sure it's annoying that it keeps being misprinted in magazines, but it's certainly not enough to demand that Audi put older brakes on your car.

-nate
Old 11-03-1999, 12:29 PM
Scott W

I would argue that my S4 stops WAY shorter than my 98 A4 2.8. No comparison in break response.
Old 11-03-1999, 12:35 PM
Scott W

uh "brake" that is
Old 11-03-1999, 12:55 PM
Jim De Arras

Default They can say that in advertising material. They cannot say that on the sticker.

The sticker represents THAT PARTICULAR CAR, and as such must be accurate.

That said, I'm happy with Audi's explanation, as long as the brakes work!

Quick Reply: Back to the HP-2 4 Piston cailper issue Vs. the 2 piston calipers we got on US spec cars(much, more)