S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Which is a better setup for track duty: Vogtland (coilovers) vs. PSS9.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like the Vogs on the B6?

You will see over time people will get over PSS9s. We have seen it on this board with TrackSports. STaSIS and us are the only companies doing anything cool with suspension for Audis. (At least that are active here.) STaSIS does not share of their R7D with us, I share some. Most everyone else just pushes the SKUs they get good margin on. Without even testing them... pretty pathetic. (Shox.com, etc...)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why? I'm quite serious as you have been saying for some time now "AVOID THE PSS9!"

but without giving any proof or reason why. Just saying "I know something but yadda yadda yadda."

Step up and actually say why you feel the PSS9 is bad.

Is it performance? Is it durability? What? What part of the PSS9 do you not like?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default limited adjustability... all I can say now.

There is also a hint of it on my web site. if you read teh description that I have for them, I feel that it is honest.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only hint I find is the "selection of two compression and rebound settings"

Which of course goes against the supposed 9 settings Bilstein says.

Now while I would be inclined to believe that the difference between say a 4 and 5 setting would be negligable. Why do you say there are only two, basically an off and on?
Wouldn't a 5 be noticeably different from a 9 or a 1?

What else is there?

I just hate it when people essentialy **** on a product but give no proof.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

how hard is it to change the settings? maybe you can try 1 vs. 5 vs. 9 and give a report?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The way I have it setup is extremely easy to change the fronts (just turn the wheel all the way)

The rears though can be setup one of two ways. One to make it easy to change it, but nearly impossible to see the numbers so you have to do it by feel. Advantage here is that the tire does not have to come off.
The second way is so that you can see the numbers, but it requires taking the tire off. Mine is setup the 2nd way.

So it would probably take roughly 30 minutes to change it all up.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Add on. I know for a fact that 1 and 5 are significantly different. But I've yet to try 9.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Would you just wait and see what he has to say in a week. I too have been following this thread..

of Tomasz coming up with news on PSS9's.

What you have to remember here is that HE SELLS THEM! Unlike most of us that give opinions based on personal feelings and heresay, Tomasz is a retailler and if he is going to say something, it has to be treated differently.

You are getting really defensive and that is probably because you own the PSS9.

Take it easy on the guy.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So someone can just be allowed to say "No don't buy XXX!! I have proof, but just give me time"

And then one month goes by and another, and he still gives the same line yet no proof? Each time its "next week".

So what if he sells them. He also sells other suspensions that are just a bit cheaper and ones that are just a bit more expensive.

Yeah I own them. I don't make the claim they are the greatest. I think they are adequate for what I wanted. Also, I don't have the automotive background (nor budget) to have the knowledge that 95% of the people here have.

Just the endless "WAIT TILL NEXT WEEK!" **** ME OFF!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've got the rears turned inward and adjust them by feel.

I can change all four in two minutes. If you just think about the direction you're turning the adjustor (CW vs CCW), you'll know what you're doing.

I've toyed with 1 through 9 on both rear and front, there is a difference throughout the range. Furthermore, adjusting the dampening between front and rear values will change the behavior further.

For example, having a softer setting in the front (for example "6") than the rear (for example, "3") will produce different characteristics than having "3" all around.

Quick Reply: Which is a better setup for track duty: Vogtland (coilovers) vs. PSS9.