S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

BPV's, F-hose, and other mod questions specific for TIP (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BPV's, F-hose, and other mod questions specific for TIP (kinda long)

Ok, lots of experience on this board, and I need some (lots) of info. I have sifted/searched this site, but still haven't found what I'm looking for, specifically for my Tiptronic. Lots of stuff for 6spd, some for TIP, just bought my 00 S4 w/24,000mi and it came w/ some mods: APR Cat/back, APR 93Octane Chip(2 programs), APR Bipipe, Audi "TT" diverter valves...I think that's what the seller told me, and a K&N drop in air filter. I immediately put Redline 5w 30 in it w/ a new Audi filter (aftermarket filters?), after the fact wondering if I should have went w/ 0-W30 anyway here is someinfoI'm "researching":

- ...(hesitant)...Does my tip have an F-hose, and if so, recommendation for aftermarket replacement? (Yes, I'm a newbie, no such thing as a stupid question right?)

-BPV's: same for both 6spd and Tip right? Would anyone say that one would be better for a "TIP Application"

-DV's: (diverter valves?) what, where, and recommended aftermarket (specific for TIP?)

I would also like to get a TIP Chip and possibly a different ecu chip that will come closer to the "310 ft lbs" rating for my vehicle. (I think currently it is around 340-360 ft lbs) Thank you all.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some Answers

Per my experience 5w-30 is actually better than 0w-30. 0w-30 burned off to easy on my car and was extremely hard to read on the dipstick for me. 0w-40 is what I am running now, oil runs a tad cooler, and the car runs a little smoother, and a lot of people recommend it.

I am 90% sure that tips don't have f-hoses, someone else can confirm this.

In terms of BPV's and DV's (they are really the same thing for what your thinking) theres nothing specific out there for a tip car, keep in mind all that valve does is open and close via vacuum pressure so whether your tranny is a tip or manual should not matter. I personally am running the TT valves you can cofirm that you have the TT valves by reading the # on the valve and making sure it reads 710N at the end of the sequence.

As far as tip chips, I can't speak for hopefully someone else can shed some light for you on that.

I think you'll really enjoy your S4. This is really a drivers car and one that rewards you for taking care of it. Check the oil level often change it every 4k preferably, warm the car up right, and cool it down right (ask if your not sure what you need to do). Audiworld is a great resource, utilize it and enjoy it, lotta good people on here.

Enjoy!
John

2000 Santorin S4
Euro's
Old 12-25-2002, 11:37 PM

Thanks John for the info, any opinions on oil filters?
Old 12-25-2002, 11:50 PM

Default Stuff...

There are no F-Hoses on Tiptronics.

DVs are important in the long run. I happen to like the TT/710N flavor, as they're inexpensive, easily obtainable, and look like the stock valves do. They need to be replaced, but require no lubrication, whereas the aftermarket piston types take attention. They only aftermarket valve I like is the Turbo XS in BPV mode, but they're not cheap.

The only engine chip tuner that detunes torque for tiptronics, to my knowledge is Abt. However, many people run Stage I chips of all kinds without issue in Tip cars. Far more six speeds have broken than have tips.

Lots of people like the GIAC Tip Transmission Module chip as it shortens shift times and reduces load on the clutch bands and such. I haven't got one myself, but I do plan one soon.

I've been running Mobile 1 0w40 for about six thousand miles, without issue... but I plan to go back to 0w30 at the next change. It's easier to find, and folk here seem to use it without issue.

Keep in mind that you have an early S4, so unless your turbos have been replaced, you've got smaller oil feed lines, and you should take even extra care to warm up and cool down the car.

Use only OEM Oil filters they have a unique sump type mechanism(?) that is fairly important.

-Michael.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:27 AM
zon

Default wow, i never knew tip doesn't have f-hose.

no wonder i can't find the damn thing.... i guess 1 less leaky hose to worry about. now i gotta find out if my system is building boost right. seems sorta slow for me, and i only hit 1.04 max on x-chip.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Similar configuration on my tip with APR Stage I

Let me ask you (since i JUST did this a week ago on a tip with 42K miles):

When the car is warmed up, and i go WOT, when i drive next to a wall so that I can hear the engine well, i hear a kind of gurgle sound, ALMOST like something its lose. Reminds me a little of a car running with pinging. When i switch the APR chip back to stock mode, I still hear it, but much less.

Do you hear anything like that?

But, up til now, the car has been perfect! No problems (less a blown Bose speaker and one or two rotor replacements which the dealer handle in warrenty).

Best car I've ever owned (and ever will...the wife will never let me spend this kind of money again!)
Old 12-26-2002, 05:26 AM

Default In addition to the GIAC Tip chip, you might want to do the 00032 recode.

I've done the recode on my Tip and it makes a huge difference. In case you are not familiar with this "mod", it changes the base coding for the Tip control module to "sport" mode and to hold first gear. You'll need a VAG to do that, but if you don't have one, I'm sure someone near you that has one will help you do the recode.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:39 AM

Default Hmmm...

You may be experiencing the "Sand Blaster" effect which is common when folks chip before doing exhaust. The stock exhaust won't flow enough air once a chip is installed, and things get pretty turbulent. It won't hurt anything, as such... but if it bothers you, do get an aftermarket exhaust of some sort.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:40 AM

Default I run mine in 00022 mode... It's fun, but my mileage doth suffer. :-)

Do you also have the TipChip?
Old 12-26-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Re: I run mine in 00022 mode... It's fun, but my mileage doth suffer. :-)

I don't have a Tip Chip, but thinking about it. Since getting my car back with new turbos, I got my APR ECU updated to the new 93 octane program. I was previously running the 91 octane program. I've had a lot of tranny weirdness, so I scheduled my last dealer warranty visit. I put the stock ECU back in today, and the tranny is much smoother. I'm thinking the new ECU program may be causing a ALOT of gear hunting. From what I understand the Tip Chip helps this considerably. We shall see if the dealer turns up anything during the visit, and if not, it may be Tip Chip time.

Quick Reply: BPV's, F-hose, and other mod questions specific for TIP (kinda long)