S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Brake/ABS Light Issues--Chipped

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:57 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The problem my be intermittent at this point...

eventually it will return, stock chip or not.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Brake/ABS Light Issues--Chipped

My problem started with low brake fluid. I topped it off and that's when the ABS/Brake lights came on. I thought it might have something to do with my GIAC X chipped. So, I put the stock chip in and the lights still come on and off irradically. Here is the fault code when I vagged it.

1 Fault Found:
01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

I'm taking in to the dealer this week. I'll keep you guys up to date on any fix to this problem.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Hmm, we're getting different codes

The brake fluid was the first thing the dealer thought when I told him over the phone but the fluid level was and is full.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 18014 rough road code is from ECU, 01203 is from ABS controller [more]

I get both codes, so I'm pretty certain it's my ABS controller.

The ABS light comes on intermittently on my car, too. Sometimes it comes on as soon as I start the car, other times it takes 20 minutes. Sometimes it happens when I go over a bump. Don't believe for a second that swapping back to the stock chip will fix it.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: 18014 rough road code is from ECU, 01203 is from ABS controller [more]

Before switching back to the stock mine was intermittent in the sense that it wouldn't get the warning lights for maybe 30 seconds and then would be on for the rest of the time in my drive (I've got a 60 mile commute to and from work). Before the upgraded chip I never had this problem. I put it in and I get the problem. Just took it out and no more problem. However, I really don't know anything about the electronics of my car so I'm not trying to dispute.... It just seems so odd that I had no problems, chipped I did, back to stock and I don't. I guess we'll see if anything happens on my drive home tonight...I'm hoping that somehow the chip I got is defective as I really don't want to have to drive the car as stock now that I've felt what the chip can do to its power.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine just started doing the same thing 2 days ago...

Is this a 100K mile issue?
I have GIAC software as well, but it's for a supercharger... so it's not the same program as an S4 by any means... hrmmm....
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Mine just started doing the same thing 2 days ago...

I've got 61K on mine. Put the stock in and it stopped...that is until right when I pulled into the driveway...it started again. Guess it's the ABS sensor. Cam seal is seaping ($1,200 to repair), Just replace CV Joints and axles ($700) and I believe it's the control arms that are having problems now to ($1,200). Thinking I may give up. Just bought the car a year ago and have loved it, but these repairs are getting pricey$$$
Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Aftermarket chips can be faulty: this happened to me a few years back.

The car died intermittently, and even though I tried swapping chips back and forth it was a pain to diagnose because it was intermittent. Turned out to be a faulty soldering job on the socket (it was a GIAC too).

You're no longer under warranty, so if it were me I'd replace the stock chip and drive around for a few days and see if the problem recurrs. Might be worth it investing in a VAG too.

By the way, you took it to the dealer with the GIAC in place?

Rory
Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 AM

Add your complaint to www.nhtsa.gov to get it going!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket chips can be faulty: this happened to me a few years back.

Yeah. Actually the dealer endorsed getting the chip. Said the engine can handle a lot more than what it was putting out and to go for it. I've never been under warranty so it's no biggie to them...he's actually been very helpful in telling me other things I may want to do with outside tuners.

Quick Reply: Brake/ABS Light Issues--Chipped