S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Call me crazy, but I'm still interested in 4 pt harnesses after my previous thread on the subject...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call me crazy, but I'm still interested in 4 pt harnesses after my previous thread on the subject...

Those with 4 pt harnesses and no extra safety equipment, how worried are you about it causing injury during a collision or other accident? I'm not very worried myself, but just curious how others justified it. TIA.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2154546.phtml">Click to see previous post on subject</a></li></ul>
Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't see the point in a street car. you can lock the OE belt and that does good enough...
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Elder Member

Default I would/will only be using them on the track. The OE 3 pt is not holding me in place well....

I end up having to brace myself too much with my arms/legs. My assumption is that a 4 pt harness would reduce/eliminate this problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For track events, I always use it. Definately holds me in the seat better than the stock belts...

as for safety...My opinion is that it is no more dangerous than doing the events with the stock belts. I have yet to see or seen pics of a B5 S4 with a collapsed roof. The level of "security" I feel by not having to fight the g-forces and concentrating on driving, way overrides any fear of injury due to to a roof colapse.

Purely my opinion....
Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used mine in the S4. It was great. Much better than the CG lock.....

I'm waiting for someone to post how it's a bad idea to mount a harness without a roll bar due to the risk in a roll over, but IMO it is a small risk.

The Schroth is a good product. Easy to install and take out when not in use. Holds you very well in the seat.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Elder Member

Default I highly respect your opinion and agree with you 100%.

I have been talking to Johnny about his Schroth harnesses, which he says are modified like yours.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Andersons do nice work. I like that their kits came with the shoulder pads.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you should try locking the OE belt next time on track...

...I'm not saying don't waste your money, but if you haven't tried it, it makes a big difference to lock the OE belt vs. running around on track in true "street" mode.

here is what i do while I'm waiting in the hot pits:

1) Move my seat back about 6" and the recline down about a foot.
2) Yank the belt to get it to lock
3) Move my seat back to where I normally have it, the belt will be locked and you'll be back to normal place.

Hasn't come "free" on me since. Does a good job of keeping your lower body planted, so it freed up my legs from moving around bracing me. Still gives you some should movement, but that wasn't my biggest issue.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its an overblown worry. Just get the harnesses; you'll be fine. In terms of overall safety

....if you're getting lashed around just driving, imagine how assaulted you'll be when the car is being jolted around with 20-70g hits. Then ask yourself how many roof failures you've seen on the S4....subquestion....if you hit hard enough to collapse the roof, how effective do you think moving diagonally with a 3pt harness will have been?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Elder Member

Default Ding! I agree 100%, but just had to hear it from someone else I respected. So far, this thread is...

going just as I would like. w00t!

Hope things are going well with you, T.

Quick Reply: Call me crazy, but I'm still interested in 4 pt harnesses after my previous thread on the subject...