S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can't code both keys at the same time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't code both keys at the same time...

Had a new key made at the dealership yesterday and I cannot get both keys coded at the same time. I followed the procedures in the tech section, but when I code one key, the other key losses code. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Elder Member

Default i had the same problem

but sadly i forget what i did. if i remember ill let you know.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:15 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default I noticed the same problem...

I finally decided that key transponders need to be in numbered pairs if you want both of them to work.
For example:
If you split the two halves of the fob apart you will see several numbers.
The first is an FCC ID number. (Always the same)
The second is a Canadian number. (Always the same)

The bottom number in larger print is the part number and then a space followed by what I would call a pairing number. NOT pairing the key to the car, but pairing a set of keys. I would assume there is a limited set of numbers since it is only a two digit number then a slash, then 00. (Which may account for some people getting both to work, lucky)

So let's say you have two keys that are 35/00 and both work fine. You get a new one that is 12/00 and you code that one to the car. That one would work fine, but your spare 35/00 key would no longer work. The same would hold true if you then code the 35/00 to the car, then the 12/00 wouldn't work. I tried several times, and always came back with the same results. If you want two sets of transponders to work at the same time, then make sure ALL the numbers are the same.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Thanks for the info gk1...

Should I complain to my local dealership?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for the info gk1...

I would definitely tell them that both don't work at the same time. They should be able to figure it out.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Uhm, you guys are off base. Those are build dates. I re-coded 3 keys the other day. Here's how...

These numbers right after the FCC ID and the Canadian ID - what you referred to as number pairs - look to me like build dates.

I have 3 keys -- two of which I got with my S4 and the third one I bought on eBay the other day b/c my primary key was looking pretty worn.

Two of my keys have build dates of 23/01. IIRC, that means the 23rd week of 2001 and that jives with what I remember about my car (one of the last 2002s off the line). The new key though has a build date of 11/97, or the 11th week of 1997.

After a couple fits and starts, I was able to program all of my keys without any problems - including the third key. Most of the instructions didn't exactly explain what to do about the third key.

Clearing the Audi's Memory Map
------------------------------
* Insert a Key (Key 1) into the ignition and click ON

* Insert another Key (Key 2) into the keyhole on the driver's door and lock the car (rotate right and let go).

* Leaving the Key 2 in the keyhole, within 5 seconds press the unlock button on Key 2 five times in 1-sec intervals. The parking lights should blink each time.

* End progamming mode by pulling out Key #2, waiting 5 secs, and pressing unlock once. Since the Audi's memory map should be cleared, nothing should happen.

Associating/Programming the Car to Accept Remotes
-------------------------------------------------
* Insert a Key into the ignition and click ON.

* Insert another Key (Key #2) into the keyhole on the driver's door and lock the car (rotate right and let go).

* Leaving the Key #2 in the keyhole, within 5 seconds press the unlock button on Key #2 "x" number of times in 1-sec intervals where "x" is the programming position. The parking lights should blink each time.

* End progamming that key by pulling out Key #2, waiting 5 secs, and then pressing unlock once. If the car unlocks, that key is now programmed into the Audi in position X.

* To program a third key, just insert Key #3 into the door lock, lock the car, within 5 sec click the button Y times in 1-sec intervals, pull it out, wait 5 secs, and then press unlock once. If the car unlocks, key #3 will now be programmed in position Y.

* Notes:
- in order to program Key #1, you will need to put Key #2 into the ignition and stick Key #1 into the door lock.
- If you are worried about locking yourself out of the car, just unroll the window.
- You can program up to 4 keys into the car's memory. I'm not sure if you need to clear the memory first before reprogramming but since it doesn't hurt the car, why not?

-g
Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 AM

Sounds good. I will retry this evening.