S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Car cleaning and detailing product questions......(More)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cleaning and detailing product questions......(More)

Ok, so I've never really taken the time to find out what I should use on my car and how I should use it.

I usually just go to the local coin spray thing and spray the car down, wash it with whatever soap they have (Oops, after vacuming the interior) and then scrub the wheels, rinse her off and I'm done.

I was wondering for those of you who really detail your cars, or wash them properly what products you use and in what order you do everything?

I'm going to start detaling my car on a regular basis, because I'm tired of rubbing against silver and getting black marks on my pants

So,

Soap?
Brushes?
Wheel Cleaner?
Interior cleaner?
Wax?
Interior conditioner for leather?

Etc.

thanks!!
Old 06-23-2001, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Car cleaning and detailing product questions......(More)

Well 1st thing first
1)wool gove to wash car
2)good soap really any good car kind like turtle wax
3)use a man made shami which comes in a tube i forget the name but got it at K-mart.. can wash in washing machine so always clean
4)i use Zaino Bros polish.. www.zainobros.com
just do the inside 1st then go to the outside...

just takes time no real secrets..
Old 06-23-2001, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check out www.carcareonline.com Lots of articles.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Sometimes the chamois ain't enough.. grab one of those massive bags of thick cotton towels too...

And if you use a hose, definately an adjustable head.

I am wishing for a hardwater filter though.. if I don't work fast on hot days I get major spots if im not careful
Old 06-23-2001, 05:39 PM
Rest In Peace

Default This is what I do every 6 months, Meguiar's only here . . .

I think if you are going to buff or glaxe your car you should not wash it with a "carwash" product. Just straight dawn or dishsoap<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/180.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/180.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 06-23-2001, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Car cleaning and detailing product questions......(More)

Use a prewax cleaner twice per year, to get off hard water stains and contaminantes (completely makes paint smooth). Then follow up with a polish to remove swirl marks and minor scratches, and wax. I have been using the following for 3 years:

Meguiars Medallion Cleaner for All Paints (2x per year)
Meguiars #9 Swirl remover (2x per year)
Meguiars Medallion for All Paint (wax)
Meguiars Final Inspection - Misting detailing spray. You use this to touch up when dusty, or to spot clean, or to deepen shine when clean. Works on painted wheels too.

If you keep your car waxed like this, you just use a very wet towel to wipe down when dirty, and then follow up with detailing mist.

The one thing to consider is that the following web site, which is awesome by the way:

http://www.carcareonline.com/index.html

indicates that Meguiars may cloud some german paints. It has never happened to me, and it works awesome (although I have a light color Silver A4). But given some of what I've heard here, I'm going to try the following once I get my new Santorin S4, not because Meguiars is bad, but because this other stuff is supposed to be better:

3M Imperial Glaze (a prewax cleaner and polish in one step; always like doing less work)
P21S Concourse wax. (Can also try One Grand Blitz wax. Blitz is supposed to be easier, but P21S is supposed to have the deepest shine).
One Grand Show Off Quick Detailer
P21S Wheel cleaner (the only one recommended by top wheel companies not to hurt them; BBS,etc.)

Also, of you have deep scratches, try Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner (a liquid abrasive that is ABSOLUTELY ****ING GREAT getting out scratches). Follow it up with polish (Meguiars or 3M Glaze) and then wax. My car looks brand new doing this.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dish liquid will hurt your paint (not Ph balanced to your car)..

If you want to strip off the old wax, start with Meguiars Mediallion Paint Cleaner (removes all wax,contaminants and water spots, and makes the surface totally smooth for application of polish and wax). 3M Imperial Glaze is also supposed to do this as it is a paint prep and glaze mix.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:07 PM
ssi

Default Car cleaning and detailing products...

Car wash: P21S or Sonax
Towel: Miracle Towel
Drying Towel: P21S Drying Towel & CA Water Blade
Polish: Klasse AIO
Glaze: Klasse SG
Wax: Blitz or Pinnacle Souveran (expensive)
Quick Detailer: Eimann Fabrik (EF) Clear Pearl or Pinnacle Crystal Mist (expensive)
Leather: Lexol Cleaner & Lexol Conditioner
Interior Vinyl: Lexol Vinylex
Tire Cleaner: EF Hi-Intensity Cleaner
Tire Dressing: EF Black Opal

I have used all of the above with exception of the Pinnacle products. They are the best that I have used, imho. I have heard that Pinnacle makes exceptional products and are highly recommended for dark colors.

These products can be purchased from the following link. Also check out the link for the Autopia Forum, a great forum for detailing fanatics.<ul><li><a href="http://www.properautocare.com/index.html">http://www.properautocare.com/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-23-2001, 10:36 PM

Default California Water Blade after the final rinse..

then you only need the chamois to finish up the drying.

As for hard water, I'm fishing around for a portable water softener. There has to one around on the market somewhere.

Zaid
Old 06-24-2001, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

check out www.carcareonline.com. Gives product reviews.