S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Checked the archives, could not find a good answer. Is there any sure way to hide a chipped ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 11:14 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get a small scraggly dog that likes to sit under the couch...

those things usually have teeth, and will bite anything off that tries to get under the couch!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Elder Member

Default If you give a dealer reason to think you're going to be a risk in a warranty audit...

then you're going to get what you get.

If your car looks completely stock, they won't hassle you. If they trust you're going to be upfront about your mods, they won't hassle you. You might not get covered for things that fail, but they'll be fair about it.

If your dealer isn't known for being fair to people who are honest with them, then by all means don't mod your S4. You're going into it with your eyes open.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:18 AM
ATH
Elder Member

Default Chipping without soldering = revo

Someone more informated than me can fill you in on this, I'm still not sure whether or not its detectable by dealers. They flash your ECU to reproram it, I think there is a dongle that goes in your serial port that allows you to switch back to stock.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Elder Member

Default If you want to chip your car, suck it up and pay when things break.

Bull**** like people making warranty claims while lying about being chipped is why Audi dumped turbos on the next S4 and why aftermarket warranty prices just shot through the roof.

Don't play if you can't pay.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default agreed 100%

fockers
Old 06-25-2003, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do get your point, but I still don't really have an answer to my question.

Will or will not dealer be able to determine if the car was chipped. I don't mean by looking at the car seeing it being lowered with an exhaust and basing thier descision on that. I am planning on getting a used S4 but not if I am not going to chip it. I will not chip it only if I risk voiding the warranty. I do not plan on creating a monster, just want the extra power offered by the chip. If something goes wrong, I definately want the warranty to cover it. If the dealer can definately determine that the car was chipped, then I will not get an S4, but if they can't then I am all game for it.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I tend to disagree. Audi dropped turbos from S4 for reasons other than chipping.

Don't forget that thouse turbos go even if the car is not chipped and further more, A4 still got the turbo.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Elder Member

Default S4 blows turbos. Chips make them blow faster. Thats the way it is...

Thats why you can't get an extended warranty worth anything anymore... you can't win offering coverage on it.

Audi certainly had other reasons, but Audi never had the kind of frequency of very signficant and very expensive failures happening on the 1.8t.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Elder Member

Default Yes they can tell.

Are there things you can do to pass a casual check? Yes. Are there likely things they can do you don't know about? Also yes.

If you can't afford to have an S4 chipped and take responsibility for the end result of that, don't chip it. If you don't want an S4 that isn't chipped, then don't buy one.

FWIW, these days when turbos go and there is ANY doubt whatsoever, Audi gets people down to the dealer to look at it who know a lot more than the techs do what to look for.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True. I say poor design on Audi's part. The damn K03 costs as much as K04, why not use K04 is

beyond me. Even if the difference in price is slightly more for K04, I am sure that most buyers would not mind that. Would have been a lot more reliable in both chipped and stock forms IMHO.

Quick Reply: Checked the archives, could not find a good answer. Is there any sure way to hide a chipped ECU