S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Child Car Seat Question - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 02:25 PM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Car Seat Question - PLEASE HELP!

Has anyone had any luck figuring out a way to tether the front of a rear facing child car seat down? The seat is installed in the center rear position of our S4 Avant (A4/A6/allroad should be similar/identical). The seat manufacturer recommends tethering the front of the seat down to a solid anchoring point in front of the rear seat if possible (to prevent the seat from pitching up and back against the rear seat back in the event of a serious rear end accident), but I cannot seem to find anything solid there to attach the tether to. The seat is a Britax Advantage (almost identical to the Britax Roundabout) if it matters. TIA!
Old 12-04-2001, 02:26 PM

Default no idea man, I have the 2 extremes...(m)

got a 4 year old in a booster seat facing forwards, and I have the infant one, where the BASE faces rear, and you attach the car seat to that.

good luck with it!! sorry i couldn't help.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haven't heard of a front tether before.

We have 2 infant seats neither has front tether, it's never been a problem, you can't be too safe though. I would advise against mounting the seat in the center. It is far too unstable (side to side) because of the hump.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:43 PM

Default just drive a big 'ol wood screw into your dash and... no, seriously...

...I haven't had to deal with a rear facing child seat, but here's a hint if you haven't already done it. Get a device called a Mighty Tight. It allows you to cinch down the seat belt waaaaaaay tighter than you would otherwise be able to. I got mine at Burlington Coat Factory, but I think there's a web site too. Search the archives. Apparently one of our fellow AW'ers is the designer of this ingenious little apparatus!
Old 12-04-2001, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if he's 20+lbs, why not face him forward... it's weight based, not age, right?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

How about the rear tow hook?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the roundabout...

In the pocket where the tether is rapped up, there should also be a small buckle with a loop at the other end. Use this to wrap around the inner rail of one of the front seats, stick the buckle through the loop, and then latch the tether to the buckle and tighten. I did this before I switched the seat to forward facing. Works great.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Roundabout tethered to rear deck here...

It gets a lot easier when they go forward facing, but I was pretty happy with rear facing seat tethered to the rear.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I'm just joking. :-)
Old 12-04-2001, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We just installed the Roundabout behind the passenger...

seat and used the tether to anchor it to the bottom of the front seat. In our '02, there's a silver metal bar running across the bottom of the seat from side to side that we wrapped the small buckle/loop strap around. That's basically how the guy at BabiesRUs showed us, except he put the seat in the center position with the strap going off at an angle to the base of the front seat. We preferred the side instead of the middle for a more solid fit as well as the luxury of a having a little more usable back seat space.

Quick Reply: Child Car Seat Question - PLEASE HELP!