S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cleaning the S4...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2000, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the S4...

Questions:

1) I have been dusting the interior with a damp cotton cloth, however, what do you use for cleaning the vinyl? (ArmourAll, ha ha) I have gotten my hands on Lexol for the leather!

2) I got Rain-X for the exterior side of the glass and was wondering whether there would be a problem putting it on the sunroof as well? (I don't foresee a problem, just thought it would be neat to see the water bead along the roof.)

3) Does anyone recommend getting Rain-X for the interior side of the glass (anti-fog) or is this just useless if one manage the climate control correctly?

4) I purchased Zymol Carbon and want to put it on tomorrow evening...

4.a] The round container (all that I received in my purchase) said that the product should be applied and wiped off before drying. The waxes that I have worked with in the past all wanted the wax to become dry. How long SHOULD one wait before removal?!

4.b] The product says to refrigerate after opening... does everyone using Zymol have the container in their fridge?!?!

4.c] Should I apply an addition coat and do I do that after wiping off the first coat or do I apply it after the first coat has had some time to dry?

5) There was some talk a while back about Zaino products and that they weren't actually a protectant and that a wax had to be applied over top of the product... Could someone please clear this up for me.

Thanks!!!<p>Baiano
'00 S4 6Spd [Canuck] (6400 km)
- Euro Xenons / UUC SS (40%) / MTM springs / V1 hardwired
- MTM ECU (...maybe...)
Old 07-27-2000, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Zymol a beotch of a Wax...but worth it

Zymol is hands down the best wax for your car, just be prepared to drop at least 3-4 hours waxing. What I found was the easiest way to do it was apply it let sit for 30 seconds, wipe with a terry cloth towel. Apply wax to new area, letting the first area dry a little. Then wipe the first area again with a new towel, I use cloth diapers for the next part. Wipe the new area with terry cloth. Then back to area 1 and buff to a shine with a third towel, or diaper. After you do the whole car a buff it one last time with a brandy new towel....

The wax seems like it'll NEVER come off but it does with a lot of patients... It seriously is the best wax I've every used, infact I washed my car a week later and simply re-buff it with a diaper afterwards and the shine and smooth feeling came back.

You may want to buy the kit from Zymol and use the Body cleaner, I think it's called HD-Cleanse. When I got it from my dealer the detailer used cicular motions when he waxed it and it left some light swirl marks in, it's black so I'm pretty ****, anyway the cleaner took them out and now it's pretty......

Good luck
Old 07-27-2000, 08:30 AM

Default Ferris, I bought the full kit from Zymol, and besides the wax, ( more)

everything else in the kit is superior.You'll love the way your car takes a very thin coat of wax (with much less effort) after you use the H.D. Cleaner/wax prep. The detail wax goes on more like a conventional wax,and leaves a durable shine on all of the plastic parts ( bumpers, rocker panels, mirrors, etc.). The tires will have a nice "satin" look after treatment with the tire dressing,and the interior cleans up really well with the plastic/vinyl treatment. I haven't tried the leather cleaner/conditioner yet, but it sure smells nice.The kit also comes with glass cleaner, a spritz bottle,detail brushes, applicator, towel, and an instruction booklet on all the products.Each product has it's own spot in the carrying case.I know this sounds like some sort of catalog ad, but I can't help it. I've been using the kit for a year now, and I'm very pleased with my purchase!
Old 07-27-2000, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, but it still seems to take a lot more effort then other waxes...

The leather conditioner seems to work well I guess I'll know in 6 years if the seats start to crack or not.....
Old 07-27-2000, 11:31 AM

Default Thanks for the info!

<p>Baiano
'00 S4 6Spd [Canuck] (6400 km)
- Euro Xenons / UUC SS (40%) / MTM springs / V1 hardwired
- MTM ECU (...maybe...)