S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Comparison questions between some other awd cars (more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 01:52 PM
Rich

Default Comparison questions between some other awd cars (more)

Does anyone have any input on the eclipse gsx or the subaru svx. Has anyone done any research on either for performance differences or test drove them before/after making an S4 purchase? I know they can be viewed as apples and oranges but they are also all wheel drive and i'm curious as to how they handle, perform and rate in comfort compartively. Opinions and thoughts are of course welcome as well.

Thanks for all your input...
Rich
Old 11-10-1999, 02:25 PM
John

Default Here is some info

I used to own a talon awd (basically same car as the eclipse). It is a nice car with great performance for the money. But I don't think they are comparable cars with the S4. If you want performance for less than 25k and do not care to have backseat passengers go for the eclipse. I wanted the Audi for the build in quality and ofcourse for outstanding looks & performance.
Old 11-10-1999, 02:31 PM
Cameron

Default SVX...

The SVX is one of those great cars with weird Italian styling (if you haven't seen one, envision a Bugatti EB110 that got its face kicked in), two-section windows, etc. It's a true 4WD GT, and would have sold like crazy.

Three problems stopped it from selling:

1) It's a Subaru for God's sake.
2) Only came to the U.S. with an automatic trans.
3) Was horribly mismarketed.

They're a great buy used, on the great used sport GT list with the 944 and the Z car. The stereo cover and other features show up in later designs like the TT, while the exotic windows and rear glass angles are now only on strange Italdesign cars and 1997 Renault prototypes...

Black or forest green is the best color for them, and the interiors hold up well.

Cameron
Old 11-10-1999, 02:45 PM
Ymurakami

Default Regarding Subarus

Sorry to burst your bubble Cameron, but the Subaru STi 22B or WRX would beat an S4 in handling and performance, and definitely be on par with the RS4. Unfortunately neither is available in the U.S. Ugghh....
Old 11-10-1999, 03:09 PM
steve l o

Default When you can do it...

When you can get a WRX or an STi 22B into the states through legal means and have it be certified by the US government to be sold to the general public, I'll believe it. Don't compare cars that are not availabe in the US to cars that are availabe in the US. You're comparing apples to green beans in this matter.
Sure a WRX or STi 22B will beat an S4. Slap 4 catalytic converters and all the other crap to certify it for US use. Add all the crash standard sub-structure crap. Certified for serveral other states that have different emissions laws. Let's see what happens to performance then.
If you look at the quality of Subaru in the US compared to elsewhere in the world, you would know why the "it's a Subaru for god's sake" comment was made.
I'm getting kind of tired of the, "well, a could beat any day."

Steve L O
Old 11-10-1999, 05:14 PM
Stu

You forgot Transmission problems and the legacy (no pun) wheel bearing rust of the subaru line
Old 11-10-1999, 06:07 PM
RBOB

Default Re: Comparison questions between some other awd cars (more)

Rich, you've come to the right place! I have an emerald pearl green '95 SVX and I love it! I also ordered an S4 in Sep. The SVX is probably among the most underated cars ever. Comparo? The ole' apples and oranges deal comes up. The SVX is like a cat and the test drive in the S4 did expose ALOT of similarities save for the SMOOTH RUSH OF ACCELERATION! The SVX comes "on cam" around 4500rpm's whereas the Audi pulled from the get-go! Philisophically they are the same but different! You decide.
Old 11-10-1999, 11:58 PM
GOD

HE DIDNT SAY WRX HE SAID SVX. READ BEFORE YOU TYPE.
Old 11-11-1999, 06:05 AM
TM in PA

Default Big caveat on the DSM cars (more)

The DSM AWD cars have a serious design defect in the transfer case. The yoke seal leaks, all the transfer case fluid drains out and then the gears heat up and lock up. If this happens when you're driving at highway speeds, you're in very big trouble. Can you imagine both rear wheels locked solid at 70mph? Very scary. It nearly happened to me twice.

I haven't checked if they redesigned the part, but this is a major concern if the part was not redesigned. I'm on my third transfer case in 61k miles.

Also, there are exhaust manifold problems and excessive underhood temps in the DSM turbos. Some sort of vented hood arrangement would probably fix this.

The positives about the DSMs is that they can be very fun to drive, can be made to go very very fast and are relatively inexpensive. 300hp is easy, 400hp is doable.

The S4 is a much better overall package, but if you can live with the drawbacks of the DSMs (and the racer-boy image), they're not all that bad. I don't like the Talon in my parking lot because I believe it is cursed (and an automatic).

Regards,
TM
Old 11-11-1999, 07:33 AM
Jason C

Default I heavily considered an SVX before I got my S4...

The SVX is a very cool car. But, of course, I like to add a bunch of performance parts to my car. The capabilities of the S4 far surpasses that of the SVX. There just isn't much you can do to the SVX, well you can but it is very difficult...

Quick Reply: Comparison questions between some other awd cars (more)