S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Coolant question. After finishing the engine install yesterday, I topped up the coolant with

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant question. After finishing the engine install yesterday, I topped up the coolant with

the engine off, coolant level seemed to stop dropping, assumed it was filled. I used one gallon of coolant and one gallon of distilled water, and the tank was at the full mark. I let it idle for a few minutes, no visible leaks. Later, I drove it for a while, and it was then that the car actually got up to running temp. Afterwards, I noticed the coolant level light come on, and I looked, and the coolant was just above the bottom rubber hose on the tank, with the engine cold. When I start it up and let it warm up, the coolant level rises about an inch in the tank, and the level light turns off. So what I am thinking is would it be possible that the coolant just didn't get into every place it should before it warmed up? Thermostat opened up? Because I have had the car up on the lift after running it, and with it idling, and there is NO sign of coolant leaks from the turbos or anything. So I just dont think the coolant could drop that much and not notice a spot on the floor. Also, since the coolant is at the bottom of the tank, would it be safe to add a little distilled water to raise the level just a little before I get some more coolant? FYI, this was after a turbo swap.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You had air in the system. Same thing happened to me. After driving the car for a couple days and

getting the car up to temp, my level dropped. I just added a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and G12. You should be fine adding a little distilled water to the tank so you can go get more G12. I would buy one of those little antifreeze testers when you're done though to make sure you have enough antifreeze to protect you from really cold temps. Assuming you live in a cold climate, you don't want your block freezing if it drops to -20 or -30
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The thermostat opening and closing will screw with your head on this regard. It will take two or

three heat cycles to get the coolant to the right level.

FWIW, Whenever I do a coolant refill, I end up using about 1.75 gallons of 50/50 mix.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

did you open the bleeder valve to let the air out??
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did that when I flushed my coolant. Coolant ran out and I tightened it. I still had air pockets

in the system. Driving it around and getting the engine up to temp got rid of the pockets.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, coolant came out of the heat core hose, but not the front one, but now the level dropped

and I have heat, continuous heat in the car, no cold spots to indicate air pockets.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's what I was guessing. FWIW, the car sat outside last night at about 5 degrees F. Started it

a few minutes ago and pulled it into the garage, and the coolant was almost empty in the tank, but after it warmed up some it came back up. I am guessing the coolant just contracted ALOT from the really cold temp? The level seemed to come back up to the normal "warm" spot it was at before, and I do not see any drips on the garage floor.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default coolant should def come out of the front bleeder (the one behind the ps pump)

maybe let it idle longer and just keep that bleeder open until fluid comes out, it should come out of that bleeder.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default odds are it was the tstat. next time fill w/ coolant and turn the car on w/ max heat

you will be able to see the tstat open then add more collant.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Fluid doesn't expand/contract. Air does. That tells us that you have air in your system.

Quick Reply: Coolant question. After finishing the engine install yesterday, I topped up the coolant with