S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Crazy to buy an S4 in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy to buy an S4 in NJ?

I've been reading AW for a couple of months now and it seems to me that the S4 is the "hottest" car out there in NJ. Yet I still really think the S4 has alot to offer. From those that own one in NJ is it nuts to buy one at this point if it is going to be street parked during the day in Rahway, NJ and be in the general Rt. 22 area? I'm not new to the car circles, so it will not be depending on the Audi security system, but I really don't want to come out to the car on a regular basis to find my headlights missing. In short, honestly is it that regular to have your headlights stolen here in NJ?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not sure if it's "regular"...

but i've heard of it happening to S4's in NJ
Old 02-02-2003, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I say get the S4 & get a good insurance package. Sux that it has to be like that in NJ.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i live off rt22, my two a4s havent been touched YET.. but knock on wood.

an s4 in the area is a rare sight, but always draws attention
Old 02-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Crazy not really....risky yes sir, that's for sure...

I know of a little too many S4's stolen in that particular area. However, you can try to "protect" your car with several alarm systems..

I myself, try to avoid parking on RT22 during everning hrs, e.g. movies, however, I sometimes take it shoppig with the Missus......

During the nite and day, its always parked in a garage....
Old 02-03-2003, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default go for it

I live literally a block from rahway, and have had my S4 for 1.5 years and no problems. Sometimes i may be too risky, parking my car in newark (school) a lot and elizabeth, but i gotta get around when no other means is available. i try to avoid it as much as possible. anyway, buy it, get some kill switches and a nice alarm is all i can say and good luck.

steve

ps. im back on AW after like 6 months of hibernation
Old 02-03-2003, 05:35 AM

just crazy to LIVE in NJ
Old 02-03-2003, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, coming from a person who had one stolen/wrecked and has another......

that I'm selling because of the risk of theft......I'm torn.

Unfortunately the Rt 22 area is terrible for S4 theft. I know of 4 cars lost along this road over the last year or so. Rt 22 is a strait shot into Newark. I would keep my current Avant until either I'm dead of old age or the car falls apart if it wasn't for this risk. I'm worried that if the car does get stolen and recovered the value will be sh*t once repaired. I can't afford that senario with a new baby.

You're right about the car though, best damn bang for the buck in all around performance, looks, comfort, etc. You'll love it, just get a kick *** security system. One that kills the ECU like the APR security program. A kill switch is also helpful. If they want to get into the car they will, just make sure they can't drive off with it. I'm not far from you, if you ever want a ride in mine let me know. Heck, if you want my MY RIDE.....let me know. Check out my picture poster for photo's. It's for sale.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is not "regular" to have headlights stolen, but it is probably not uncommon either. (more)

Just to give you some background... I have had my S4 in NJ for almost two years now. The car is garaged at home in Watchung, which is just off of Rte 22 but is known to be a nice area. At work the car is in a parking ramp (somewhat secure, though cars have been stolen there before) on the company site in Kenilworth (also off Rte 22). In that period of time my car his been stolen and vandalized in two separate incidents, but in neither case were my headlights stolen and no other attempts have been made. The car was stolen from the Kinko's parking lot on Rte 22 in Springfield, and the vandalism occurred in the Blue Star shopping center in Watchung also on Rte 22 (near TGI Fridays).

So to answer your question about headlights, I don't think anyone expects or anticipates their headlights to be stolen just because they live in NJ but it certainly can happen here and more often than most other places in the country I would think. My appraisal is that the closer to Newark that the car is parked, the bigger the danger. The rule of thumb is that anywhere inside the 287 loop is higher risk, and in particular the parking lots along major roads such as Rte 22.

I didn't know about the S4 presenting such a prime target to car thieves/scum before mine got stolen/vandalized because one of the reasons I bought it was that it was such a subtle high-performance vehicle. Now I know from experience that it does not have such a low profile. This understanding has made me do two things. First, I made some anti-theft mods to better safeguard the car. Second, I'm more careful about where I park it (though I still think I never parked it carelessly). I try to avoid places directly on Rte 22, Rte 1, etc. Parking away from other cars, under a light, or right next to the front door is NOT enough; mine was stolen in just that circumstance. You have to actually avoid locations of higher risk. This sucks, no doubt, but it's a fact of life for those of us in NJ. I still do occasionally have to park in places that I'm worried about (of course I'm paranoid in general now) and in those cases I try to be as quick as possible and park in the biggest group of cars in the parking lot to try to bury the car and make it harder to see when driving by on the main road or cruising the lot.

The one thing I will NOT do is get rid of my ///S4 just because of the scum of NJ. I worked damn hard to get the car I wanted and I'm going to enjoy it. Even though I try to be a little more careful now I will not let fear govern how I live my life. So my advice to you is get whatever car you want (whether that's the S4 or some other fine vehicle), just take some sensible security measures and be smart about it.

I'll stop rambling here, but feel free to e-mail me if you want any additional feedback.

BTW...if you do buy the S4 (which I highly recommend, it is such a sweet car), be sure to try to meet some of the NJ crowd, it's good to have the support network.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Without knowing where you live, I have to say I HATE hearing this.

I don't mean to be antagonistic or start a flame war or anything, especially since you might live in NJ yourself and just be expressing your frustration, but I get really tired of people saying "just move". How easy would it be for you to quit your job and just pickup and move? Everyone has their own situation, their own roots, their own reason for being somewhere. Don't assume people who live in NJ are stupid or "crazy". Most of us are here because we have to be. This is the hub of the world's pharmaceutical industry, and if you want to be in it (which I am), this is the best place to be. Yeah, I hate the high cost of living, the stuck-up selfish attitude of many people, and yeah, I hate the high crime rate too, but it's where I need to be right now. I'd much rather be living in the upper midwest where I came from, but that's just just not possible right now (how many multi-billion dollar pharma companies are there?), especially since I now have a signifanct other the think about here in NJ. Someday I hope to live in a safer environment, but for now I deal with what I have to. The person to whom we're responding was just looking for info and we're just trying to give some advice. Please don't call us "crazy".

Sorry for the rant, didn't mean to offend, just had to get it off my chest.

Peace.

Quick Reply: Crazy to buy an S4 in NJ?