S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Are Diverter Valves the same as Bypass Valves? If so, which are recommended? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are Diverter Valves the same as Bypass Valves? If so, which are recommended? Thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, they are exactly the same. Take your pick as to which ones you want

asking for the "best" bypass valves is like asking for the "best" chip.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I wasn't aksing for the best, just a recommendation. 8 ^ )
Old 06-26-2002, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No problem, you'll still get the same results by asking for a reco.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK then, which are the easiest to install and service? I searched the archives and.................

saw that the Strat one doesn't exactly fit right. I just want a replacement that I won't have to do that much work to install.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default they are all the same in terms of installation...

...some are larger (Forge) than others, and I believe there is some difficulty fitting the front engine cover (if you care about that) running the Forge valves.

In terms of service, the Forge valves require servicing. The Bailey valves do not. The 710N valves do not require servicing either, but this is just a better OEM piece. I'm not personally convinced that a rubber diaphram is the way to go running anything over stock boost (or even running stock boost).

Not sure about the Hyperboost valves. They appear to be similar to the Forge valves with some slight changes. Not sure if they require servicing like the Forge valves do.

So if you want a better OEM replacment, that is in fact, an OEM part. Get the 710N valves (Bosch).

If you want a valve that is aftermarket, that requires no servicing, get the Bailey valves.

If you want a valve that is aftermarket and requires servicing, get the Forge valves.

Not sure where the Hyperboost fit it, but they would be an option to either Forge or Bailey depending on whether or not they require servicing. My guess since they are similar to the Forge valves in design, they require servicing like the Forge valves do, but this is just a guess.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for all the info. You just made up my mind. Bailey 8 ^ )
Old 06-26-2002, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are correct on all fronts sir...

The Hyperboost valves are very similar to the Forge valves (the damn nipple caps are interchangeable). The Hyperboost valves would require servicing just like Forge. I have 3 sets at home: GoFastBits Hybrid BOV's, Forge & Bosch 110's. Whichever one is in basically depends on how I'm feeling (unless I'm in a car show).
Old 06-26-2002, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default one key difference between Forge and Bailey if you care...

...is that the Forge valves (and I assume the Hyperboost valves) run an aluminum piston. The Bailey valves run a Nylatron piston.

Forge switched to an aluminum piston after the original pistons started melting (this goes WAY back in S4 forum days).

Bailey switched to Nylatron pistons probably over a year ago. Nylatron has a higher operating tempurature than they previous material (not sure what that was).

I've not heard/seen any Bailey's that have had melted pistons, so I'm not convinced that running Nylatron over Aluminum is any disadvantage.

But just so you have all the facts before you buy...
Old 06-26-2002, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Last thing. Should I get this fixed right away? Or can I wait until the next time my car goes in?

Quick Reply: Are Diverter Valves the same as Bypass Valves? If so, which are recommended? Thanks