S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Do dealers share service information?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 09:22 PM
slurms

Default Do dealers share service information?

Like if i chipped my car, and had to take it in to dealer A for service. If dealer A nulls my warranty and refuse to service my car, do they notify all the dealerships in my area that the car has been modded? What's keeping me from going to dealer B or C? What does it mean exactly when someone voids your warranty? Is that specific to just that one dealership?
Old 10-11-2000, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do dealers share service information?

Your car's service history is most likely kept in a database which can obviously be shared by dealers. I found this to be true with my previous vehicles. While on vacation I had my car serviced at an authorized dealer while under warranty and found that they were able to access previous vehicle history based on the VIN #.

Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From somewhat similar experience...

When I went to dealer A for a diagnosis of what a possible increased police siren might be (I knew the turbos on my ex-car were on the brink), they said that I would have to pay for their replacement following the confirmation of the car being chipped.

They did not void the warranty, and I asked the technician that was working on it whether they put a diagnosis such as this into a central computer.

The technician said that they only put in items that were fixed on the car, warranty or non-warranty issue. Therefore he suggested I go to another dealership with my spare stock ECU in place, which I did.

Needless to say, the diagnosis by dealer A was not inserted into the vehicle repair history, but then again dealer B did not diagnose the problem with a conclusion that dealer A came up with.