S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Don't mean to start a "thang" before Xmas but with all the Stage III talk, and everyone scrambling

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't mean to start a "thang" before Xmas but with all the Stage III talk, and everyone scrambling

OH ya baby, Flame suit is in the closet, I'm going all natural!!!

Everyone scrambling to spend their money, why is it that not a single tuner that is discussed here or pimped here, offering a warranty?

Your paying $7K plus and you have no re-course if the stuff doesn't work right, why would you as a consumer plop that kind of dough down with no type of written warranty on the product you are buying?
If you have turbos installed by Audi they carry a 1 year, 12k warranty. Why can't the tuners do so? I think some of you, especially the ones that don't have all kinds of money to pay for blown motors, broken parts or just a kit that doesn't provide the advertised results should be able to have something in writing that protects you a bit.

Currently the tuners are laughing all the way to the bank! Now I'm not saying you are not going to get supported, but in a court case if things did get ugly, what protection do you have? "A website said this" (okay false advertisement), but what about code that blows up your motor, or that the output is really only 315hp to the wheels and not 415hp (example only). I just find it curious that people are still scrambling even with all the problems described on the forum (not enough of them are showing up, too many people afraid to speak the truth, but that is the AW'ers fault for making this a closed clique society).

Just want people to stop and think. The kits are getting there but when kits are released as full tested ready kits then all of a sudden the software becomes "beta" (wait it was just released, now it's beta?), what recourse do you have, nothing! Maybe being told it's beta is better then never knowing when software has been modified and there are problems lurking around the corner that the tuner is keeping you in the dark about.

This is not meant as a slam to any tuner, but more of a wake up call, your selling an expensive proposition and really expensive for us if you screw up. Maybe you should do something to protect us the consumer..

That is all, sorry to get heavy on Xmas Eve.. anyways have a great one and be safe!

Tory
Old 12-24-2002, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Dinan example:

Copied from the Dinan Website:
"Product support is another important aspect of the Dinan philosophy since we insist on equaling the after-sale service and support that BMW owners expect.

With that in mind, we offer the best warranty available anywhere.

Dinan's warranty matches whatever period remains on the individual New Vehicle Limited Warranty for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles. Exceptions are turbocharged, supercharged or stroker engines for which a Dinan Drivetrain Warranty is available.

Our current 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty applies to products installed on those vehicles no longer covered by the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

And the installation of Dinan products will not affect your new car warranty coverage. So you are covered mile to mile, year to year and bumper to bumper"<ul><li><a href="http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/warranty.htm">dinan warranty</a></li></ul>
Old 12-24-2002, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default One more comment :)

It's not like you/we/us are buying from joes big barn of used parts. You are buying from decent sized players in the market, AWE, AMS (well if you ask the SoCal guys, that's what they will say))), APR, MTM.. They are all decent sized business that should "pay to play" and that means providing a written warranty and stepping up to honor that warranty.. Shoot drop the prices by 50% and don't give a warranty, keep the markups and provide a warranty!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i und what you mean...who really believes that these "tuners" really "test" the prodcuts they sell.

sure they all claim that they do extensive r&amp;d...but compared to what audi does...I dont think most tuners even come close.

After reading the australian (?) Rs4 article and seeing how much was changed for the 385 (?) hp setup...it doesnt look like the tuners StgIII kits are offering anything as extensive as Cosworth did. What I find funny is that tuners claim that their setups are safe, and reliable...what are they basing this claim on? It looks like its not difficult to get an S4 to 400+ hp, but how long is it going to last?
Old 12-24-2002, 05:12 PM

in summary "A fool and his money are soon parted" 8^P
Old 12-24-2002, 07:48 PM
gr

Default I'm 99% sure that IF the kit I bought from AWE didn't perform as advertised or as I expected that

they would take it back and give me my money as long as I gave them a chance to fix whatever problem I would have been experiencing.

For the record (and I haven't posted anything about this yet) I bought an AWE Stage 3 fueling kit (had the K04s already) and had some problems with my car after installing it, here are the problems... two bad OEM sensors, a boost leak and an intake leak (my fault as a result of installation). They didn't have to help me fix any of them, but they did (and very impressively from 1500 miles away i might add). They are absolutely making sure that I am 100% happy with the kit... and I am 100% happy with it at this point, it's absolutely sickening how fast this four-door AWD sedan is, sickening I tell's ya!!!

Any real company that gives two ****s abut thier customers will make sure their customers are happy if their customers are reasonable.

A written warranty is worthless. I refer you to the toilet paper in my glove compartment from this company called "Audi" that gave me a written 4 year/50k "warranty" only to **** on me every time I had an issue with my car.

Warranty's aren't important, customer service is. I'd happily buy my Stage 3 kit again in a heartbeat but won't be buying another Audi again and believing that my written warranty is worth a damn.

I wish I could remember the Chris Farley line from Tommy Boy exactly but the whole "Guarantee Fairy" scene fits this. Audi's guarantee isn't worth dick to me (and they're a pretty big company as you mentioned) but AWE's customer service is.

And I'm using AWE as an example here because they're the company I chose to use for my Stage 3 upgrade, I'm not saying that you should expect any different from any company that you buy a stage 3 kit from, but it couldn't possibly be any better than my experience has been with AWE.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What happen with your Audi warranty?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:22 PM

Chill, eggnog time...
Old 12-24-2002, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"...for an extra $2000, above and beyond parts.."
Old 12-25-2002, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't quote me on this but I believe that AWE has a 1 yr warranty on their turbos.

Quick Reply: Don't mean to start a "thang" before Xmas but with all the Stage III talk, and everyone scrambling