S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ECUX and FATS experts poll: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed what the power loss ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECUX and FATS experts poll: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed what the power loss ...

in Stage 3 FATS times in varying IAT's in the same weather conditions?

I.e.:
FATS time difference in IAT's from 100, 110, 120, and 130?

I know that the test in and of iteself has numerous variables, I was just looking for guestimations as in: every 10 degrees of increased IAT's = .05 seconds FATS.

I thought someone may have dyno runs that measure the pwer difference and could be equated backwards somehow.

TIA!

P.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default threadjack: I pulled my ECU last PM and let it sit. Put X in instead of XR...

My butt dyno which is recently calibrated says thumbs up.

I need to log to see just to verify the accuracy of the butt dyno.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I still think I may have an ECU issue causing some of my confusion.

Time will tell to see if my CF go way up with the X-chip as well (this is what happened before when I changed over from X to XR - initially the CFs dropped and then slowly they climbed to 15 and pinned there no matter what I did).
Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No expert but.. on mine fuel load seems to be the main determing factor from 40deg-70deg

with my runs/pulls ie if I plan for the runs with 1/4 tank and get the car hot before logging I can pull mid/low 3.5s within this temp range pretty consistently. A real-world number, unprompted, is a more realistic 3.60-3.65 ish. With 1/2 tank of gas and temps ~80deg or less its a ~3.7 mostly.

I haven't logged it above 85deg ambients but it still has a quick feel to it up top.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 AM

Default AWESOME! I'd be surpsrised if the CF's got pegged at 15 on X over time. The most I've seen ...

is that they go from 0 -6 to 3 - 9.

Time will tell. Keep me posted! If my CF's keep up at 0 - 6, I'm going to bump timing +2.25 degrees. I've done this before and the midrange got stronger. I'll do extensive testing in ALL gears over time if I do that though.

I'd rather have 0 - 6 if the timing curve is smoother than jumping it around with slightly high CF's though I think, but my test may prove me wrong.

Keep me posted man and log that bish! I'm interested to see your CF's.

=D
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will - the issue I was having before I went to XR was that my CFs were pegged at 15 on X....

despite ANY changes I made.

Literally, I could cut boost to 10psi and pull 10 degrees of timing and run 100 octane and the car would pin at CF of 15 the second I floored it. When I switched to XR, things got better for a time so I thought I had an actual problem with my X chip since it didn't happen with XR. Over time, it happened with my XR also.

I just tried a different ECU with XR and the CF went down.

I really think I have an ECU issue.

BUT, if this fixes it, great - I bet it won't over the long term.

I have an extra stock ECU so I'd just need to get my encription board swapped over to the other ECU.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thumbs up your butt dyno?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not anymore, that's how I calibrated it though. When is your car going to be done?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

next saturday hopefully. Getting the piggies from renn-art today
Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM

Default I HAD ALMOST THE SAME PROBLEM! When it was accidentally left on XR (while showing someone the ...

flash loader) I drove it that way for 2 weeks (just part throttle stuff).

When I logged I was like "WTF"!!! My CF's were 12 - 15.

I realized it was in XR after I checked the flash loader and changed back to X. My CF's didn't hardly move at all.

I pulled the ECU overnight and adapted the TB the next morning. Logged it and BAM! The car pulled like a freight train and CF's were 0 - 6.

I'd bet money that your CF's are ALOT lower and will stay there without going higher than 3 - 9.

Keep me posted, but given I had the same experience and you probably ran XR harder and longer than I accidentally did, I have a strong inclination this will fix the issue.

=D
Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmmm - I hope. Let's see, I've been running XR at least 6 months like this and through....

2 track events, so I'd say longer and harder

I wasn't worried because I haven't blown anything up yet but it would be nice to see CFs in the area that everyone else does.

Also, I think my car is running a different timing map therefore probably a bit slower than it could be.

Quick Reply: ECUX and FATS experts poll: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed what the power loss ...