S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

<flame suit on> S4 & Baby Seat compatability Question:

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default <flame suit on> S4 & Baby Seat compatability Question:

How do I know if my car's back seat is L.A.T.C.H. Compatable with this system? To my understanding, if my S4 (MY2000, October build date)is NOT compatible; I can take it back to any audi Dealership for a FREE retrofitting for L.A.T.C.H. child seat compatibility.

My S4 definately has the "hooks" on the rear deck, but I am unsure as to what "anchor bar in the vehicle" is on the S4.<ul><li><a href="http://www.aap.org/family/latch.htm">link</a></li></ul>
Old 04-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humm... A question I will soon need answering too...
Old 04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The tether strap will attach to the anchor on the rear deck.

The "hooks" you refer to are the anchors that the tether strap attaches to. I don't have the LATCH system in my 2000 either. I just use the seatbeats &amp; appropriate car seat for whichever kid I am taking with me.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it is, the free upgrade is plastic parts that make finding the anchor points easier.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: <flame suit on> S4 & Baby Seat compatability Question:

ISOFIX (= LATCH) seats have Lower Anchor straps that go into the bars, and tether straps on the top thta go into the mounting points on the rear shelf. The parts are a free-of-cost retrofit and come with plastic guidance pieces.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is. My dealer installed both sides, free of charge. Consists of a bar, 2 bolts, and two

useless guides per side. The Euro market actually has seats with clamps that are accessed with the plastic locators. They are pretty useless for our stupid clip/tether straps.

Audi/VW sells the seats in the UK(I have part numbers for some of them). Have often thought about seeing what they cost as you can install and remove these seats in a matter of seconds.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just pop the kids in the trunk - keeps their food off the leather, you have to drive...

a bit slower so their heads don't keep smacking around the sides of the trunk. But, usually after a few, quick turns it quiets down back there.

(Oh, you can get it retrofitted at the dealer - the hooks on the back of the rear deck are pretty useless. The seatbelts work fine too - when I drive with 2 car seats seatbelted in, there are no probs.)
Old 04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the dealer install the anchors (for free), but they are a biatch to use (rant)...

...The dealer did intall plastic guides, but I found that they dug deeply into the leather, and removed them (they left marks for days afterward). The anchors themselves are recessed so deeply into the seat that you must go into a strict finger-weight-lifting regime to squeeze the seat strap clip between the seat crack, find the anchor, and clip it in. The leather is stiff as heck, and there's not much room to wiggle in there. Removing the seat is an exercise in swearing profusely, and I just remove the bench and unclip.

Using the seat belt instead took no time, though. Go figure.

As a disclaimer, I have only tried the anchors a couple of times...the kid is still brewing.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MY2K doesn't have the seat anchors and yes your dealer will install them for free....

Mine would have but I just took the parts and did it myself, I didn't want to wait around for them to do it.

If they give you a hard time ask them to check for the TSB on it.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

definitely remove the guides - makes removal easier too once you figure out where they are.

Quick Reply: <flame suit on> S4 & Baby Seat compatability Question: