S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fual econ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 01:16 PM
GasPump

Default Fual econ....

Everybody is also loaded with turbo this, chips that. My S4 go 3XXhp my S4 got @#$%*. But has anybody been looking at the fual cost latly? Is there anyway to make the car more efficient(bring up the economy and performance)? Hey gas ain't cheap in CA you know!!
Old 11-22-1999, 01:36 PM
couldn't resist

Forget the price of fuel, how about the price of not paying attention in English class?
Old 11-22-1999, 01:38 PM
I didn't care about gas mileage or $ of gas.

POLL: How many people considered the price of fuel when purchasing an S4?
Old 11-22-1999, 03:31 PM
Jim L.

Default Re: Fual econ....

If it concerns you, here are some suggestions:

- replace the stock wheels with magnesium wheels.
- keep your tire pressure up to spec
- drive conservatively (yeah, right)

Most people willing to spend $40K+ on a sport sedan aren't overly concerned with fuel economy. According to the trip computer, I averaged around 21mpg for the first 2000 miles - which I think is pretty acceptable for the performance I got from the car.
Old 11-22-1999, 06:20 PM
gaspump is dumb

Default Re: POLL: How many people considered the price of fuel when purchasing an S4?

what kind of dumb post is that. if youre so worried about fuel economy by an electric car for christ's sake. or maybe an old pinto.
Old 11-22-1999, 06:52 PM
ct

Get a Honda!!
Old 11-22-1999, 08:53 PM
GasPump

Thanks for taking my question seriously Jim! For all others, gas price is import when you are just a poor student who is skipping meals to buy the car!! Say Jim how do you get 21 mpg? I haven't recieved my S4 yet so I just fellowed the spec and it says 17 mpg. Any chip upgrade that would help?
Old 11-22-1999, 09:44 PM
Jim L.

Most of my mileage has been on longer drives (30+ miles) with no so many stops. Your mileage may vary.

I've generally gotten good mileage from the cars I've had w/ manual transmissions - though I can't say exactly why. Probably just driving style. Sorry I can't offer something more specific.

As far as chip upgrades - when I asked some folks on the forum how chip upgrades affected fuel economy, someone suggested that they might improve it somewhat (I had actually expected it to have the opposite effect).
Old 11-22-1999, 11:07 PM
Stoney

With turbos, light foot means light gas bill
Old 11-23-1999, 12:54 AM
ChuckH

Default Everytime you think your mileage is bad, remember there...

...are cars with worse mileage than an S4! My new Xterra V6 4x4 is averaging 15-16 MPG! :-( Feel better now? Seriously; for the type of performance, the S4 actually gets pretty decent mileage, from what I've heard.

Charles

Quick Reply: Fual econ....