S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

General Exhaust Question and Poll....Opinions Requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Exhaust Question and Poll....Opinions Requested

Okay so as I am sure you all know I dont know much about cars besides how to break them and who to take them to when I do. However I think I have some common sense and a good ability to reason through a problem. So that being said a good friend of mine has a c5 corvette built ls1 402 CI with a procharger. The car makes crazy power and is scary fast.
The car needs to have a new exhaust system installed because of some various problems from the headers back. One problem is the X Pipe seems to be less then ideal and probably somewhat restrictive. I suggested as long as the exhaust was going to be replaced and since this has been a spaired no expense car that the owner should probably buy a full exhaust including LONG TUBE headers from the same company so everything matches and works as best as possible.
This opinion met with a lot of oposition. I heard things such as "you damn near have to pull the motor to switch headers", "Long tube headers on a forced induction car are only good for MAYBE a small amount over a good set of short tubes", "changing the x pipe would give more horsepower then long tubes probably 20 horse at the wheels" and most astonishing of all "the only reason people buy long tube headers is to have a 4 to 2 to 1 configuration as appossed to a 4 into 1 set up". As I mentioned I dont know much about cars but it seems long tubes on such a high performance car would be a must and add a good deal of power and also with the excess intake air of a forced induction motor it would seem to produce significantly more exhaust gas which would exit smoother through long tubes. What do you think TIA
Hansen
Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tell him to do this...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2206949.phtml">click me</a></li></ul>
Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default S/C'd cars can really benefit from a free-flowing exhaust.

I agree that LT headers should work fine. Peak power numbers should be close to shorties due to the lessened scavenging effect but the area below the curve should be enhanced.

I don't know how much faster it will make the car since traction will be an issue but it will definitely make it more powerful.